Forum Home » Techie Stuff

How much broadband data are you using? Need to buy a 4g wifi plan

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

How much broadband data are you using? Need to buy a 4g wifi plan

7 replies 132 views
RotorRotor Forumite
1K posts
Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
✭✭✭
I have very slow broadband so am getting a 4g router plan to get better speeds. I ordered an unlimited Vodafone router as ofcom says that's the best reception for my area but am only getting between 3 - 7 mb download ( weirdly 8 - 14mb upload) so that's going back.
Have a Virgin phone plan (EE) and data downloads are about 30mb so going to get EE for wifi router but they don't do unlimited data so I have to choose an amount ( 100/200/300/500gb £35/40/45/50)

What is a realistic amount for a house with 4 people . not avid netflix watchers but some obviously / instagram/catchup tv/ Zoom calls etc?

Thanks

Replies

• edited 11 May at 4:06PM
    MinuteNoodlesMinuteNoodles Forumite
    238 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 11 May at 4:06PM
    How long is a piece of string? I have 72mbit broadband and never considered that would be insufficient but I'm just having a 200mbit line installed because we're maxing it out. Meanwhile my sis in law uses so little that even the 3mbit you're getting is more than she needs.

Netflix can use typically around 2.5GB an hour at 1080p up to 7GB per hour for 4K Dolby Vision. Catchup TV and video calls all wallop through it too depending on the quality you set.
    If you can put a cap on the monthly charge and have the ability to change the amount every month then maybe go for the 200GB option and see how you go. I know for the mobile phone SIM only plans Virgin allow you to roll over unused data.
  • RotorRotor Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I asked if they rollover - they don't sadly.
    https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details
    Whilst, in theory, you can upgrade to a higher data amount ( but not downgrade apparently) these are 'reduced' prices so i imagine if you change you pay the full price so best to get it right at the start 
  • edited 11 May at 5:11PM
    TheRightOneTheRightOne Forumite
    108 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May at 5:11PM
    Rotor said:
    I have very slow broadband so am getting a 4g router plan to get better speeds. I ordered an unlimited Vodafone router as ofcom says that's the best reception for my area but am only getting between 3 - 7 mb download ( weirdly 8 - 14mb upload) so that's going back.
    Have a Virgin phone plan (EE) and data downloads are about 30mb so going to get EE for wifi router but they don't do unlimited data so I have to choose an amount ( 100/200/300/500gb £35/40/45/50)

What is a realistic amount for a house with 4 people . not avid netflix watchers but some obviously / instagram/catchup tv/ Zoom calls etc?

Thanks
    Have you tried 3(UK)? They have an unlimited package for £26 per month on a month to month contract, £24 on a twelve month contract or £22 on a 24 month contract.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?priceplan=&deviceType=SIM_ONLY_MBB&greatForServices=&intid=3store_mbb_paym_sim&includedInternetAllowanceInMB=All-you-can-eat

• edited 11 May at 6:28PM
    dan958dan958 Forumite
    570 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 11 May at 6:28PM
    A question that cannot be answered. My server has downloaded 40gb today, that doesnt even include netflix and youtube that I've been watching. YMMV

Get a rolling month to month contract, try a few GB and see if it is enough, if not get more.
  • Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Join a unlimited data plan!
  • edited 12 May at 2:56PM
    arcierearciere Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12 May at 2:56PM
    Just out of curiosity, what speed are you getting on your broadband? Less than 3-7 Mbps? 
  • RotorRotor Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    arciere said:
    Just out of curiosity, what speed are you getting on your broadband? Less than 3-7 Mbps? 

Notionally it's about 3Mbps - ie when i run a speed test however when actually downloading a file it is always under 1.

I've now ordered a 200gb plan and will just have to upgrade if thats not enough.. 

Cisco001 said:
    Join a unlimited data plan!
     I did - with Vodafone ( ofcoms ' best coverage ' recommendation) - speed is poor and it's going back; EE don't do one.