Looking into my parents benefits

debthelp1
debthelp1 Posts: 39
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 30 April 2020 at 2:42PM in Benefits & tax credits
With some extra time on my hands I have gone over what my folks get paid in benefits against what they should possibly get. I have been on the turn2us website but to be honest it confused the hell out of me so I am hoping I can find some advice in here.

They are both social tenants and living together.

My dad is sick and on ESA, claimed as a couple, which is broken down as follows .....
"Living expenses for you and your partner - £116.80"
"Extra money because of the Disability Income Guarantee - £24.80"
"Extra money because you are in the support group - £39.20"
Total £180.50

My mum who is unemployed (she practically cares full time for my dad as he has issues with his legs and movement) doesn't get anything as he has long assumed she isn't entitled to it due to the couples ESA but this doesn't sound right to me? They also get housing benefit to the tune of 71% of the rent and receive council tax benefit but I'm unable to see what that amount it currently.

My dad should almost certainly be on PIP of that I'm sure but should my mum also be on universal credit? At the moment she's not employed and not officially his carer.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,817
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2020 at 4:16PM
    Their ESA amount is correct as a couples claim. No, you  mum can't claim UC as a single person. It's a means tested benefit and they will need to claim as a couple. They may potentially be better off claiming UC rather than ESA and housing benefit but they will need to use a benefits calculator to make sure. If they claimed UC then his ESA support group award would be honoured and he would receive the LCWRA element.

Housing benefit, as they are not claiming the full amount, do they have non dependents living at home or do they have spare bedrooms.

Your mum wouldn't be able to claim anything as a carer because your dad doesn't claim a qualifying benefit.

Whether he will be entitled to PIP will totally depend on how his conditions affect his ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Links here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Evidence would be needed to support a claim and it could potentially take several months.

Also to add if all of the ESA is Income related then this will stop if they claimed UC.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2020 at 4:21PM
    If they claimed UC their claim would look like this:
    standard couple allowance - £594.04
    LCWRA element - £341.92
    Total = £935.96/month (equivalent to £215.99/week)
    This figure includes the temporary increase to UC of £20/week.
    Plus Housing element - I would normally expect this to match the Housing Benefit but as your parents are not getting the full amount of HB there may be a difference. Does somebody else live with them and/or do they have spare bedroom(s).

However managing a UC can be more difficult than managing an ESA claim depending on how comfortable your parents are with computers.

Are either of your parents approaching state pension age (66)?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • debthelp1
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2020 at 6:39PM
    calcotti said:
    If they claimed UC their claim would look like this:
    standard couple allowance - £594.04
    LCWRA element - £341.92
    Total = £935.96/month (equivalent to £215.99/week)
    This figure includes the temporary increase to UC of £20/week.
    Plus Housing element - I would normally expect this to match the Housing Benefit but as your parents are not getting the full amount of HB there may be a difference. Does somebody else live with them and/or do they have spare bedroom(s).

However managing a UC can be more difficult than managing an ESA claim depending on how comfortable your parents are with computers.

Are either of your parents approaching state pension age (66)?

Thanks guys yes they have two spare bedrooms and live with my adult sister, I am also in process of applying for PIP for my dad.

My dad is 60 next year and he's a few years older than my mum, the computers thing is not an issue as I can manage that for them going forward.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    debthelp1 said: Thanks guys yes they have two spare bedrooms and live with my adult sister, 
    Three bedrooms, parents in one and sister in another, so one spare bedroom? If so they amount help for rent is reduced by 14% for the one bedroom and your system is assumed to be contributing something. For HB the amount your sister is expected to pay depends on her earnings. For UC it would be a standard amount of £75.15/month.
    debthelp1 said:.My dad is 60 next year and he's a few years older than my mum, the computers thing is not an issue as I can manage that for them going forward.
    Not really relevant then. Only asked in case there were about to be other changes that might effect entitlement anyway.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • debthelp1
    Forumite
    calcotti said:
    debthelp1 said: Thanks guys yes they have two spare bedrooms and live with my adult sister, 
    Three bedrooms, parents in one and sister in another, so one spare bedroom? If so they amount help for rent is reduced by 14% for the one bedroom and your system is assumed to be contributing something. For HB the amount your sister is expected to pay depends on her earnings. For UC it would be a standard amount of £75.15/month.
    debthelp1 said:.My dad is 60 next year and he's a few years older than my mum, the computers thing is not an issue as I can manage that for them going forward.
    Not really relevant then. Only asked in case there were about to be other changes that might effect entitlement anyway.
    four bedrooms sorry, so two spare
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    debthelp1 said: four bedrooms sorry, so two spare
    Then there’s a 25% reduction for the spare bedrooms as well as a deduction for sister’s contribution.
  • debthelp1
    Forumite
    calcotti said:
    Then there’s a 25% reduction for the spare bedrooms as well as a deduction for sister’s contribution.
    That's on UC I assume? Sounds like they are better off on ESA?
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2020 at 7:52PM
    debthelp1 said:
    calcotti said:
    That's on UC I assume? Sounds like they are better off on ESA?
    As explained in my earlier post the spare bedroom deduction (25%) is the same for Housing Benefit and UC and then there is a deduction because your sister lives there. For HB the deduction for your sister depends on how much she earns but for UC it is afloat rate of £75.15/month.
    If you are successful at getting PIP for dad including the Daily Living part your sister will no longer be expected to contribute.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback