Unemployed - class 1 NI credits - how to get?

Hi,
My partner is unemployed and has been for a few years.  She did apply for JSA and has just received a letter about the claim.  Not surprisingly it says she can not receive any JSA given lack of contributions.  She could only apply for contribution based since she has significant savings.
It did say that Class 1 NI may still be credited "if you continue to attend the Jobcentre".  Nothing more about this is mentioned in the letter.  What does she need to do to make sure she gets the credits?  The local job center is "temporarily closed" obviously.  Is it just a case of waiting till they reopen and then contacting them?  Presumably she can get the credits backdated from application submission?
Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    At the moment all job search requirements are suspended so I would expect that she will get the credits for the time being. Once the work search requirements are reinstated she will have to carry out work search in order to get the credits.
    If in doubt she could ring DWP for confirmation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • itwasntme001
    itwasntme001 Posts: 1,138
    Forumite
    Thanks.  So she does not need to do anything further and she will have the credits applied automatically?  Who does she need to call to prove she is looking for work once it gets reinstated?
    She received a P45 about the ending of the "claim"; not sure if this relevant to the credits or not?
  • itwasntme001
    Forumite
    Can someone please advice?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,817
    Forumite
    Can someone please advice?

As has already been advised, job searches are currently suspended, so she doesn't need to do anything at the moment. Once the suspension has been lifted then she will need to attend her job centre for work focus interview appointments. Even though she's not receiving any money, the same rules apply.

If is any doubt then she will need to ring DWP.
  • itwasntme001
    Forumite
    Ok thanks so in the meantime her class 1 NI credits will be applied automatically for now?
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    They should be yes but as advised, if in any doubt then she will need to ring DWP.
  • itwasntme001
    Forumite
    Hello,
    My partner received a form to apply for the NI credits which she completed and sent off a few weeks back.  She received a letter today saying that the credits will apply from the start of this tax year but can not be backdated for the previous couple of tax years since "there is no acceptable reason for it".
    She did mention on the form that she did not know she had to apply to get the credits.  Isn't this an acceptable reason?  If not what would be an acceptable reason???
    Also would the credits continue to apply without her doing anything currently given the pandemic?  Would she be told to go to the job centre for the credits to be applied once rules are relaxed?
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    I think she's been lucky to have had the NI credits backdated to the start of the tax year to be honest. It's very unlikely they will backdate for previous years.
    Once job searches are back on then she will be expected to look for work and do exactly the same as if she was receiving the money.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    Forumite
    Hello,
    My partner received a form to apply for the NI credits which she completed and sent off a few weeks back.  She received a letter today saying that the credits will apply from the start of this tax year but can not be backdated for the previous couple of tax years since "there is no acceptable reason for it".
    She did mention on the form that she did not know she had to apply to get the credits.  Isn't this an acceptable reason?  If not what would be an acceptable reason???
    Also would the credits continue to apply without her doing anything currently given the pandemic?  Would she be told to go to the job centre for the credits to be applied once rules are relaxed?
    Ignorance is not generally considered an acceptable reason in law. As to what would pass that test I don't know - perhaps being in a coma! The credits will be applied if she meets the job search requirements detailed in her Claimant Commitment. Job Centres have started contacting claimants by telephone and are supposed to be reviewing and modifying as necessary the requirements to reflect the current situation. In most cases it is unlikely that people will be expected to routinely attend JobCentres for some time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Hello,
    Does my partner need to do anything with regards to the NI continuing to be credited given that lockdown has now been eased?  She has not received any further communication since the letter in July saying NI will be credited from the start of this tax year.
    She continues to look for jobs but it has been very difficult given the economy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback