Children growing up

I apologise for asking these questions but am hoping someone is able to give me some pointers so that I can help my daughter. She is long term sick, divorced, lives in rented accommodation (3 bed property) and has three children living with her. I don't know her financial positions but she has said that she will be losing support as the children become adults. The eldest is 20 and works full time, the second has just turned 18 but is still at college and works part time whilst the youngest will be 16 this year. 

Comments

• FabFifty
    FabFifty Posts: 146
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As a rule, Child Benefit after 16 will stop. Even so, some exceptions do apply for children who continue in approved education or training.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,817
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The 20 year old works full time and is now an adult so no support regard benefits for your daughter is needed there.

The other 2 children, your daughter will continue receiving child benefit for both of them if they continue with non advanced eduction until their 20th birthday. If she claims child tax credits for them this will also continue until their 20th birthday, providing they remain in full time non advanced education.

If she claims Universal Credit, child element for this stops in the September after their 19th birthday, if they remain in full time non advanced education.

If they leave full time education then all benefits will stop.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback