eBay to go ahead with managed payments roll out this summer

New Post Advanced Search

eBay to go ahead with managed payments roll out this summer

86 replies 2.7K views
soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
66K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭✭
It looks like eBay management have decided to go ahead with the planned roll out to managed payments is summer despite the current situation. I have an email suggesting that those sellers identified as being most likely to benefit will be able to pre register soon, with others following as it is rolled out. 
My concern is that eBay are still glitchy , many sellers are facing severe hardship due to needing to close up or just lack of sales and now might be bombarded with messages to pre register for a scheme which, at this point in time, has nothing online to show costs, liabilities, terms or conditions.

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sellers who have been looking at the figures in detail suggest sales that historically went through a micro account will now be considerably more expensive, but in some cases more expensive sales may be a bit cheaper overall. 

Payments will be made directly to your bank account and that has caused some issues in the US and potential issues here already. The bank details must be the same as the eBay account details , for the vast majority of people that is no problem, for some businesses it is. Some businesses have bank accounts in one business name whilst trading on eBay under a different name or even as a sole trader and that might not work when setting up managed payments.

It is interesting to note as well that the roll out in the US which is about a year ahead of the U.K. has not met any of the projected targets . Here in the UK I am receiving almost daily emails, updates etc asking me to pre register so I can go live soon. 

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • edited 4 June at 4:43PM
    Gary123456790Gary123456790 Forumite
    636 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 4 June at 4:43PM
    I'm getting frequent emails asking me to register - to be honest what I have now works fine, I actually use the paypal payment email to dispatch because we have a mail rule that flags them, and when we dispatch we unflag it, it works because the paypal address is on the paypal emails and thats the one we are meant to post to....
    I'm not looking forward to it, it'll mean hours working out how to update our system/processes.  We're not a massive seller, maybe 50 items in a busy weekend but its enough that I could do without the hassle!
    Cheers.
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting frequent emails asking me to register - to be honest what I have now works fine, I actually use the paypal payment email to dispatch because we have a mail rule that flags them, and when we dispatch we unflag it, it works because the paypal address is on the paypal emails and thats the one we are meant to post to....
    I'm not looking forward to it, it'll mean hours working out how to update our system/processes.  We're not a massive seller, maybe 50 items in a busy weekend but its enough that I could do without the hassle!
    Cheers.
    Unfortunately it looks like the change will be forced onto us, they are still warning me that the automatic switch, whether I sign up now or not, will be end of July. However since the US is still only just moving sellers across (it's being done in batches) and the move has so far taken a year I can't see us all being forcibly changed within the next 2 months.
    New to Forum? Guide
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just had an email now telling me I have to register as I am switching to the managed payments on the 15th July :(
    New to Forum? Guide
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anything about this. Is it just for business sellers?
    Thanks 
    Love living in a village in the country side
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anything about this. Is it just for business sellers?
    Thanks 
    At the moment it appears to be aimed at business sellers , I assume at some point it will be rolled out for all. 
    New to Forum? Guide
  • shapalashapala Forumite
    506 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I've read into it today (I'm sole trader) and have no idea still what the pros and cons are.
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    shapala said:
    I've read into it today (I'm sole trader) acnd have no idea still what the pros and cons are.
    I’m a sole trader as well.
    eBay say it will be cheaper in most cases, although looking at the figures this isn’t necessarily the case according to sellers who have investigated it in depth especially for sellers like me that sell a lot at the lower cost end of the market and currently use a PayPal micro account for some sales. However it will be easier to see your fees as there will only be one lot in future, rather than eBay and PayPal fees being charged seperately.

Not that we have any choice anyway. 
    New to Forum? Guide
  • LM2020LM2020 Forumite
    24 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I'm also a sole trader using PayPal micropayments due to selling low value items. I've been avoiding registering and ignoring the emails but now had one that sounds like I have no choice but register by 15 July. Not sure what will happen if I don't meet the deadline.

I'll have to increase sale prices to pay the higher fees. But my main concern is my bank account.  I've always used PayPal like a business bank account to buy and sell. I only occasionally withdraw money into my personal bank account. If eBay start paying money into the bank directly does this mean we need a business bank account with all the extra fees?
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    LM2020 said:
    I'm also a sole trader using PayPal micropayments due to selling low value items. I've been avoiding registering and ignoring the emails but now had one that sounds like I have no choice but register by 15 July. Not sure what will happen if I don't meet the deadline.

I'll have to increase sale prices to pay the higher fees. But my main concern is my bank account.  I've always used PayPal like a business bank account to buy and sell. I only occasionally withdraw money into my personal bank account. If eBay start paying money into the bank directly does this mean we need a business bank account with all the extra fees?
    This is potentially an issue although some sellers have been re assured by eBay that they don’t check the status of the recipient bank account it just needs to be capable of taking direct debits (so not a Savings account). The names must match exactly and although this is fine for sole traders it is likely to cause issues for those using business names where they might have one business bank account but feed in business money from variously named businesses. 
    New to Forum? Guide