Help: Unable to use per fix number for mobiles

in Phones & TV
4 replies 857 views
For the past 2 years or so I have been using pre fix numbers (as recommended by Martin) to make cheaper mobile calls. Recently however, I am unable to make such calls. E.G. when I call Discount Dial on 08717544141 I get the message that due to capacity problems they have been unable to connect me. I have tried other pre fix numbers as recommended by Martin and not one of them have been able to connect my call.

My neighbour who is with the same telephone company (Utility Warehouse) has no such problems. I have even used the BT pre fix of 1280 before the 0871 number and the result is the same.

I have contacted my telephone company and they have assured me that there is nothing wrong with the line or the carriers. What can I do? Anybody else ever had a similar experience and if so how was it resolved?

Replies

• YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your line rental is still with BT and you have only cps your calls. Use www.18185.co.uk for cheaper mobile calls.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'Utility Warehouse' part of the OP may be the problem.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    The 'Utility Warehouse' part of the OP may be the problem.

Exactly how? :confused: The Op is able to get through to the access numbers either by dialing direct,or using 1280 to go via BT and then he gets their capacity announcement,so he is getting through !, but the dial through supplier,s are not able to forward the call onwards due to them not having enough lines available How can his existing call supplier be causing that,bearing in mind he also gets same problem when he goes via BT.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah. I misread. I was thinking UW had started blocking the 0871 number.

No, you're right, sound like a simple capacity problem with Discount Dial.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides