Fair and reasonable compensation figure?

Hi, I am looking for some thoughts on my current situation. 
Long story short - I got into arrears with my G&E supplier due to not submitting meter readings (obviously my fault). I was offered a payment method of £x for 2 years to pay back the balance. I accepted this and after the payment method was arranged I then requested to switch away (bad blood with them at this point). This was blocked. I called them about it and they advised they would lift the block. I tried to switch again. I got blocked. I called again and they advised they would lift the block. On and on this went. Eventually, I made a formal complaint and they advised me that I cannot switch away until I am under £200 in arrears. That was news to me!
Little bit more background: They also advised me to cancel my direct debit for my ongoing usage which automatically put me on their variable rate. This was another reason I needed to switch as it was an absolute fortune per month and we are now 18 months down the line at this point!

To get to the heart of my question: can anyone advise on where I stand on my right to claim compensation for essentially being locked into a contract for 2 years (roughly) without my knowledge? I have checked all the payment paperwork and I cannot find anything that mentions this term in the agreement. As I said, I have complained but they are asking me what I want as a resolution. I want to submit a figure that is fair and reasonable but I honestly don't know what that is. Of course, I can pull figures out of my head but I would prefer to have some sort of evidence for why I have chosen this and why I think it is fair. 
Does anyone have any advice please? 

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 April 2020 at 12:22PM
    TBH they can stop you moving until you've paid all your arrears. Most people have a few quid arrears at the end of their contract and if they've been pretty diligent in their payments most suppliers will let them change and pay the balance when the final bill is produced.
    I really do find it strange that you thought you could leave them with an arrears large enough to take two years to pay back - even letting you go whilst owing £200 sounds a bit generous. Asking for compensation because you are in arrears and they are reluctant to let you go sounds like you are living on a different planet (but thats just my opinion you understand)

You could always pay up the outstanding amount and then I guess you can leave when you like.

If you dont like it, then you should go through the complaints process with your supplier and then escalate to the Ombudsman if you aren't satisfied within eight weeks but personally I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Hey, thanks for the reply.
    I get what your saying but I suppose my issue is not that I want compensation for being in arrears as, as you say, that would be incredibly stupid. My issue is more that the terms and conditions of the payment plan were not transparent. Had I of known that after I set up the payment agreement that I couldn't switch my supplier (and been told for several months thereafter that I could) I would have paid the whole of the arrears off at the time and gotten on with my life.  
    I cannot yet go to the ombudsman as we are not at deadlock. My supplier has asked what I want as a monetary resolution, which is why I came to this educated forum; to get advice on what is a reasonable amount for such a situation. 
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    £30 would be fine .
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 April 2020 at 3:42PM
    Did it not occur to you why you were being blocked, regardless of what the people in customer services told you? You say you could have cleared the debt and moved. You chose not to and opted for the equivalent of an interest free loan instead, so I don't see why any compensation is due?

As you said, you got into arrears through your own failure to submit meter readings. Why should you get compensated for that?  And now you're taking up the rather overstretched customer service resources of a company you have no intention of staying with, debating compensation. I don't understand why they're offering you anything; they just want (and deserve) their money.

Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear!
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I recon  the £30 suggest above is reasonable  so I suggest  you offer it to your supplier!
  • Thanks for the replies - will take them on board! 

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    It is an ofgem regulation that deals with leaving a supplier whilst in debt. See:
    If the customer had the right to switch supplier when in debt, many would simply switch from supplier to supplier leaving a trail of debts.
    'As I said, I have complained but they are asking me what I want as a resolution. I want to submit a figure that is fair and reasonable but I honestly don't know what that is.'
    You imply that they are offering you financial compensation as resolution. Have you got that in writing?

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,891
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 April 2020 at 9:19PM
    Take the £30 and run !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income