Forum Home » Marriage, Relationships & Families

making a will cohabiting with our baby and he has two young children

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

making a will cohabiting with our baby and he has two young children

12 replies 993 views
SavvyjjSavvyjj Forumite
4 posts
Third Anniversary First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
So - I am living with my fiancé and our 1 year old son, he has two children from a previous short relationship ages 5 and 6, the mother has no job or assets. Both myself and partner own our own homes, we now live in his house and I am selling mine this year. we want to make a will to protect everyone - my thoughts being I will have a decent sum of equity, my partner wants to split our assets three ways if anything happened to us both - i feel my son should have a larger portion as the boys have another parent... if something happened to one of us mirrored that all assets go to each other? any advice on what’s fair and simple? we plan to marry end of 2022 

Replies

• gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstly be aware that your marriage will invalidate the will that you make now so either be prepared to redo it or ask if it can be made in anticipation of a marriage that far away.

the question I'd ask you is do you see his older children as part of your family or do you see them as children you have to tolerate? Because if you see them as part of your family and you want a truly blended family, then the situation with their inheritance that they may or may not get from their mum is neither here nor there.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Savvyjj said:
    So - I am living with my fiancé and our 1 year old son, he has two children from a previous short relationship ages 5 and 6, the mother has no job or assets. Both myself and partner own our own homes, we now live in his house and I am selling mine this year. we want to make a will to protect everyone - my thoughts being I will have a decent sum of equity, my partner wants to split our assets three ways if anything happened to us both - i feel my son should have a larger portion as the boys have another parent... if something happened to one of us mirrored that all assets go to each other?
    If you have mirror wills and he died first, you could change your will and leave everything to your son - doesn't he want to protect his first two children's interest?

• SavvyjjSavvyjj Forumite
    4 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Mojisola said:
    Savvyjj said:
    So - I am living with my fiancé and our 1 year old son, he has two children from a previous short relationship ages 5 and 6, the mother has no job or assets. Both myself and partner own our own homes, we now live in his house and I am selling mine this year. we want to make a will to protect everyone - my thoughts being I will have a decent sum of equity, my partner wants to split our assets three ways if anything happened to us both - i feel my son should have a larger portion as the boys have another parent... if something happened to one of us mirrored that all assets go to each other?
    If you have mirror wills and he died first, you could change your will and leave everything to your son - doesn't he want to protect his first two children's interest?

yes he does and likewise I would want them looked after, think he should have it equally split three ways for the three children - maybe mirrored is not best for our situation..
  • pphillipspphillips Forumite
    895 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly be aware that your marriage will invalidate the will that you make now so either be prepared to redo it or ask if it can be made in anticipation of a marriage that far away.

A will can't be made in anticipation of marriage unless the marriage is imminent, which it is unlikely to be under under the current circumstances.

Have you thought about leaving your fiance an interest in your estate during his lifetime and then you get to decide what happens to it after he dies.
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the unlikely event that you both pass away who would look after your son?  The money would likely be needed for expenses of raising the children, more than as a lump sum for them to inherit at 18.  So two older children in one household, maybe do have less than double the need of a single child in another - but this would depend on who the likely guardians would be for your child.

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • pickledonionspaceraiderpickledonionspaceraider Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jbkmum said:
    But what if the other parent has no assets at all and then basically he doesn’t provide for his first two kids in the same way he’s providing for his third? I don’t see how having another parent factors in to it. I think HIS assets should be split three ways with his children. You can split yours however you want 
    This is exactly what I think too
    With love, POSR <3
  • SavvyjjSavvyjj Forumite
    4 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I agree he needs to split his assets equally three ways and mine to my son. I was thinking of something happened to both of us my son would be without parents and go to next of mine whilst his other two would still be at home and provided for my there mum 
  • pickledonionspaceraiderpickledonionspaceraider Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Savvyjj said:
    I agree he needs to split his assets equally three ways and mine to my son. I was thinking of something happened to both of us my son would be without parents and go to next of mine whilst his other two would still be at home and provided for my there mum 
    Totally fair.  IMO if he has a problem with this, he would be being unreasonable
    With love, POSR <3
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Following on from Theoretica - who would look after your son. It may well be different people as your son gets older.
    Never pay on an estimated bill