New Post Advanced Search

SMP/MA

4 replies 122 views
sabelusabelu Forumite
1.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
If a person worked and paid NI through PAYE for the first 8 months  of tax year 19/20 then was out of work not getting JSA whilst retraining ready to start a new business in 20/21 as a sole trader how would this affect any SMP/MA payments due from Sept/Oct 20?
Would their be entitlement to SMP or is basic MA? Is their anything that could be done to rectify the situation if SMP was not payable ie making additional NI contributions?
Should the sole trader registration through HMRC be in 19/20 even though there were zero earnings as training/setting up or is nothing lost if sole trader registration is in tax year 20/21. Bearing in mind covid 19 shut down will delay new business launch so this may have an impact too on the sole trader registration decision 
It pays to challenge

Replies

• chrisburchrisbur Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    SMP is only paid to employees.  If as appears from your post you are not employed at the moment so you would not be entitled to SMP, you need to look into MA .
    https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance
  • sabelusabelu Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    sabelu said:
    If a person worked and paid NI through PAYE for the first 8 months  of tax year 19/20 then was out of work not getting JSA whilst retraining ready to start a new business in 20/21 as a sole trader how would this affect any SMP/MA payments due from Sept/Oct 20?
    Would their be entitlement to SMP or is basic MA? Is their anything that could be done to rectify the situation if SMP was not payable ie making additional NI contributions?
    Should the sole trader registration through HMRC be in 19/20 even though there were zero earnings as training/setting up or is nothing lost if sole trader registration is in tax year 20/21. Bearing in mind covid 19 shut down will delay new business launch so this may have an impact too on the sole trader registration decision 
    Can someone help with this as a sole trader now in the first year and not due to file tax return until April 21 at which time I’ll pay NI too how can I claim SMA paid NI regularly until July last year then a month over Christmas, was training to be able to set up my sole trader business. That went live in April 2020 would I still be able to claim SMA? Or is there a way to make self employed NI contributions that would entitle me to this ahead of my tax return.
    is there a helpline to call.
    It pays to challenge
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you eligible for and likely to claim Universal Credit. If you are then claiming MA may be irrelevant as the MA will simply be deducted from the UC payable.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
      You may be able to pay voluntary NIC to claim Maternity Allowance  if you have not paid enough  The Contributions Agency will tell you what , if anything,   you can pay and how. You need to get  a  reference  number from them before you can pay
    https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility