Can't re-install Windows 10...?

in Techie Stuff
18 replies 191 views
esuhlesuhl Forumite
9.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my PC, but no matter what I do, the installation freezes almost instantly on a black screen showing just a blue Windows logo.  The PC is fairly old, but still quite high-spec, and I've installed Windows 10 on it previously with no issues.

So far I have:
  • Used the "Windows 10 Update Assistant" to confirm that Windows 10 is compatible with my PC.
  • Confirmed that I am still running the latest BIOS version (unchanged since I last installed Win10).
  • Removed all peripherals, the second monitor cable (unused) and all USB devices other than the bootable USB stick.
  • Used the official Win10 "Media Creation Tool" to create a bootable USB with the latest Win10 version.
  • Used Rufus (software) to write USBs containing old versions of Win10, US English versions, International English versions, single language versions, etc.
  • Tried booting from a hard drive partition containing the Windows10 installer, rather than USB.
  • Unplugged all other hard drives except the one I want to install to.
  • Tried removing my PCIe NVMe SSD.
  • Tried with the new drive "unallocated" with no partitions, and with pre-prepared partitions, and with pre-formatted partitions.
  • Tried disabling Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS.
  • Removed half of the 12GB RAM, leaving a single triple-channel 6GB matched set.
  • Set all RAM timing settings to "auto" in the BIOS.
  • Tried swapping to the old graphics card I was using when I last installed Windows 10.
  • Manually set "USB emulation type" to "hard disk" instead of "auto" or "floppy".

Literally, nothing makes the slightest bit of difference.  Every time I boot from the installation media, without fail, I see nothing but a blue Windows logo on a black background.

I would have given up by now if I didn't already know that the PC has happily run Windows 10 in the past.

Can anyone think of anything else I could try?  I'm seriously tearing my hair out with this one!

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals