Forum Home » Praise, Vent & Warnings

Gas Check Update :0) Job done

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Gas Check Update :0) Job done

edited 22 April at 7:15PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
30 replies 1.1K views
London50London50 Forumite
1.8K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 22 April at 7:15PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
While I do understand these are not normal times it is frustrating to sit in all afternoon after clearing out the two areas so the gas check could be done to have no person arrives to do it and no information as to when/if it is going to be sorted out.
  My local council are happy each year to send me a letter stating the day around 2 weeks in advance and warning of the dire consequences {escalating fine or death}so I will now sit and wait to see when this check will be done :0(

Replies

• SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if anyone will come to check your gas until July at the earliest. 

You will probably receive another letter to let you know when.
  • London50London50 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I did think along those lines but it would have been nice if someone in charge {either council or the checkers} would let people know.
      I know these are not normal times and we are all doing our best but a letter/email or telephone call {staffing permitting] would make my life {and theirs} easier as if I put the bits back {there is nowhere else it can be put} if they just turn up it will be a 30 min job to let them do the check and that is not fair on the checker/others after myself waiting to be done.
  • mac.dmac.d Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I know a local housing authority who recently sent out a letter about what impact Covid-19 was having on their services and they said one of the things that was continuing as normal was the annual gas safety checks as they legally have to do them every 12 months. 
  • rachel6188rachel6188 Forumite
    380 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    My housing association are still doing gas safety checks I had mine done the day before yesterday the guy was saying that the HSE have said they can still do the checks. I'd phone your ha/landlord etc? X
  • tonyhendertonyhender Forumite
    68 posts
    10 Posts
    London50 said:
    While I do understand these are not normal times it is frustrating to sit in all afternoon after clearing out the two areas so the gas check could be done to have no person arrives to do it and no information as to when/if it is going to be sorted out.
      My local council are happy each year to send me a letter stating the day around 2 weeks in advance and warning of the dire consequences {escalating fine or death}so I will now sit and wait to see when this check will be done :0(
    If your so concerned why don't you pay for a gas check yourself. You can ask the council to refurbish you later. I wouldn't complaint normal people have to pay for this themself. Your getting it free.
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    3.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    But normal people (by this I assume you mean people who don't rent) don't legally need one unlike rented properties.
  • London50London50 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    London50 said:
    If your so concerned why don't you pay for a gas check yourself. You can ask the council to refurbish you later. I wouldn't complaint normal people have to pay for this themself. Your getting it free.
     It is not the gas check I am concerned about it is the fact that there has been no update as to when it will be done.Yes I do rent and part of that agreement is that this is done by my council so I have no reason to pay private.
      Believe it or not council renters are normal people to
  • MorglinMorglin Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got a phone call from our social landlords yesterday.  The boiler is being serviced tomorrow.  We did actually ask them to leave it a few weeks, as we are both classed as vulnerable, but they said, legally, they have to do it.

So, I guess we’ll have to just sit in another room while he does it.
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My housing association text me that gas safety check would be done 20th April...I rang to rearrange as it's not actually due unti August!!
    Now booked for June 
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ours is due in June/July and they sent an appointment for March. Then allowed us to defer but only two weeks a time. 
    We have now emailed them canceling the appointment and saying we won't allow access for the 12 week isolation period, and they can come nearer to when it's due.
    We are both classed vunerable, Mum particularly so, we are mindful of legal obligations but too uncomfortable with the level of risk, especially as its nowhere near due.