Forum Home » Disability Money Matters

I need to move I'm feeling suicidal

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

I need to move I'm feeling suicidal

21 replies 1.7K views
I'm a 28 year old Schizophrenic and suffer from many delusions plus paranoid thoughts pretty much 24/7.

My main problem is my flat its a studio council flat and to put into words makes me miserable/suicidal. The communal garden is right outside my flat window near my bed and my neighbours are constantly in and out, smoking and shouting all day.  This makes me feel angry because I think they are deliberately  doing it on purpose. I've been here almost 7 years and it just gets worse. Also they shame me because I have mental illness. I just feel like life isn't worth living anymore. I've gone to extremes in recent years and try to walk around the town/village here just to get away from the constant noise and depression. I cant even sleep until 11 thats when it goes quiet in the block. I have a neighbour and he can sleep because he isn't near the communal garden or doors but I am.

I have asked the council if I could get a transfer to another flat which isn't next a communal garden but they say I'm adequately housed. My psychiatrist even wrote me two letters to try and get me a transfer nothing. The council say I should try Home swapper which ive been on for 5 years and not one offer.
Is there anyway I could get help with this because all I  want to do is move and give my flat up. I was previously living in sheltered housing but had to move out eventually because they only allow you to stay up to two years. After i got my council flat which I took unwillingly because it was the only one they could offer at the time.

My psychiatrist is on my side 100% and believes my mental health is deteriorating and could make me have another major breakdown.

Has anyone been in the same boat and hate where they live with extremely bad neighbours? If so please could you offer me some advice on what to do.
I have considered private renting but im on benefits as I cant work full time (schizophrenia) so Im not sure how id do it.

Many thanks.

Replies

• KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear the difficulties you have been through.

I would not advise giving up a council place for private because it's so unlikely you could go back.

If you have been refused a move despite having medical evidence, I would make a formal complaint, your local council will have the procedure online.

Due to the current virus situation it may be some time before they are able to respond, and you'd be very unlike to be able to move while it is ongoing.

If the formal complaint has the same outcome, you can then complain to the Housing Ombudsman
  • Ryzen26Ryzen26 Forumite
    58 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    KxMx said:
    I'm sorry to hear the difficulties you have been through.

I would not advise giving up a council place for private because it's so unlikely you could go back.

If you have been refused a move despite having medical evidence, I would make a formal complaint, your local council will have the procedure online.

Due to the current virus situation it may be some time before they are able to respond, and you'd be very unlike to be able to move while it is ongoing.

If the formal complaint has the same outcome, you can then complain to the Housing Ombudsman
    Ok I will try the formal compaint procedure when the virus thing settles down. Its actually worse atm because everyone has to do their laundry etc and im at breaking point. 
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are welcome, I have replied to your PM.
    Please reach out for appropriate help if you feel things are getting too much.
    58 posts
    KxMx said:
    You are welcome, I have replied to your PM.
    Please reach out for appropriate help if you feel things are getting too much.
    58 posts
    BTW has anyone else been through the process of a transfer or formal complaint? It would help if you could share your story here thanks.
    58 posts
    anyone bump?
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
  • venisonvenison Forumite
    4.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you spoke to "Shelter" for advice?

Stay safe, keep well and take care x
    58 posts
    No I haven't as they may just tell me to go private rent like alot of the other people. I might try though.
    And thanks for the link KM :)
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try a house swap. Do be aware that you won't be able to move house at the moment anyway. No one knows how long these restrictions will be in place.