New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Civil Service Alpha Pension

1 reply 182 views
Does anybody know how civil service pensions work?
I worked for the Civil Service for a few months on a short term fixed contract and paid into the Alpha pension.  I'm of state pension age so assume I can take this money out? "Pensionable Pay" is just under 2k.

Replies

• edited 26 March at 5:11PM
    hugheskevihugheskevi Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 March at 5:11PM
    The alpha scheme guide is at this link.
    It sounds like you did not qualify for preservation of benefits, so are entitled to receive the contributions you made (not the employer contributions) back. If you worked there for more than 3 months you can alternatively transfer the value of the pension pot to another pension scheme. Transferring will be of greater benefit than a refund, but both amounts are likely to be quite small.