Forum Home » Savings & Investments

is there a simulator working with real data?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

is there a simulator working with real data?

8 replies 91 views
I think using an investment simulator that follows actual market movements would be a good way for me to learn. Buy virtual shares and see how they do. Is there a good one for free or a small cost?

Replies

• LintonLinton Forumite
    12.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of dummy portfolios.  See ft.com for example - you would have to create a free account to use it.
  • vitamin_joevitamin_joe Forumite
    626 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sounds good to me. Thanks
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    6.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    These dummy portfolios are a bit dangerous as if you get lucky in the short term (or just happen to be in a rising market) it might convince you that you are an expert stock picker and then go on to risk real money where over the long term luck isn't maintainable.
  • EdGasketTheSecondEdGasketTheSecond Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard anecdotal reports that spread-bet simulators return better results than the real thing to hook you in. (They wouldn't do that , would they?)
  • Username999Username999 Forumite
    346 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with a pencil and paper?
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing but we aren't living in the middle ages you know; there are better ways of doing things.
  • bowlhead99bowlhead99 Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard anecdotal reports that spread-bet simulators return better results than the real thing to hook you in. (They wouldn't do that , would they?)
    Not the reputable ones. You would be able to see what spreads you were being charged with every trade. What you might not see from that is that the spreads may get adjusted in the real world at certain times due to lack of liquidity or volume - ie perhaps trades that you wanted to place could not really be placed due to lack of volume, but the simulator could not know that the volume didn't exist without polling for a live price quote.

A dummy portfolio is generally just going to let you buy/sell at published bid/offer prices - or enter your own price that you think you would have bought at, into their tracking tool. In practice, the market is more nuanced than that. But if you simply want to see what happened to stock market investment funds over time, there are various websites offering free 'virtual portfolio' tools (mostly with their own flaws in some way - none are perfect and you could find fault with the one at the FT, or Trustnet, Morningstar etc)

2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's also the little tricks like your stop losses getting taken out with a 'spike'. Most likely in a dummy scanario you would not be placing stop losses or if you did they wouldn't get manipulated like they do in the real trading situation.