»

Student accommodation fees

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Student accommodation fees

5 replies 211 views
OzilOzil Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I've heard from a Friend today that uni might not charge next terms accommodation fees. If that's the case what happens to the students maintenance loan for next term....does that get cancelled????

Replies

• gerdogerdo Forumite
    123 posts
    100 Posts
    That's right, my daughter has been told she does not have to pay accommodation fees next term. The maintenance loan should still get paid, we haven' been told otherwise.......yet.
  • OzilOzil Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks Gerdo, I have tried to get clarification today but the is no one at Student Finance. Any other way we could check this ?
  • Shakin_SteveShakin_Steve Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    My son is in the same position at Sheffield uni. He has had confirmation that his accommodation contract has been cancelled from April 11th. The maintenance loan and/or grant is not for you to pay your student accommodation costs with, although you can obviously use it for that purpose. You could be living in private accommodation, a shared house, and student finance would have no idea what arrangements you make with your landlord.
    I can see no reason why the final payment would not be made but, remember, you have to pay it back.......eventually.

Ozil....one way you could make sure you don't get it is to keep ringing student finance and telling them you don't need it 🙄
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Shakin_SteveShakin_Steve Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked into this further. The amount of loan you receive is dependent upon whether you live at home or away from home. You get less if you live at home. You are supposed to let student finance know if your living arrangements change (through your online account). I have just looked and can find no way of doing it.
    Another thing is, you could still be living away from home even after you give up your student accommodation, with a different landlord or a friend. 
    On balance, I really can't see many students wanting to talk themselves out of their final payment, so I doubt many will contact SF. It may come back to bite next year.....I don't know.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • OzilOzil Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks Steve