»

Onecall sent my car for scrap without my permission

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Onecall sent my car for scrap without my permission

8 replies 328 views
Ejv48Ejv48 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Any advice?  This has happened over the last couple of days and now their offices are closed due to the corona virus.
They advised on Friday that my car was a financial write off (after their initial quote doubled), ignored my emails offering to pay the difference between the value and repair and after my calls on Monday and Tuesday did not contact me yesterday knowing that they were closing office down. I queried the location of my car this morning with the bodyshop and was told that it had been removed for scrapping.  I have never agreed to this and now have no way of contacting Onecall. It is still my car (I have V5) how is this possible?

Replies

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ejv48 said:
    Any advice?  This has happened over the last couple of days and now their offices are closed due to the corona virus.
    They advised on Friday that my car was a financial write off (after their initial quote doubled), ignored my emails offering to pay the difference between the value and repair and after my calls on Monday and Tuesday did not contact me yesterday knowing that they were closing office down. I queried the location of my car this morning with the bodyshop and was told that it had been removed for scrapping.  I have never agreed to this and now have no way of contacting Onecall. It is still my car (I have V5) how is this possible?
    Its not your car! Its the insurance company's car as they no doubt paid you value of car which I suspect you accepted?
  • jimbo6977jimbo6977 Forumite
    547 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    You might find that you have agreed to it one way or another. If you're certain that you haven't, follow the insurer's complaints process then complain to the Ombudsman if needs be. Bear in mind they will all be beyond busy at the moment. 
  • Old_LiferOld_Lifer Forumite
    272 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    With regard to your email ,  if it was a write-off what value would it have  other than scrap value  and how do you safely repair a write-off?

Where there is a total loss  and the insurer pays-out on a claim , your ownership of the property and all rights and remedies you have regarding that property  transfer to the insurer,    who is then free to take whatever steps it wishes to mitigate its own loss.

• Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you read the V5 carefully you will see that it having your name on it has nothing to do with who owns the car.
  • wesleyadwesleyad Forumite
    649 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    And by carefully he means it's literally the first line in giant bold text  ;)
  • Old_LiferOld_Lifer Forumite
    272 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    The last word in my post above should read   'costs'   (i.e.  the insurer would sell the car for scrap to reduce the cost of the claim).
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It may have been a category of write off that cannot be repaired.   Category A: This vehicle is deemed not suitable to be repaired. Must be crushed without any parts being removed. This vehicle will be classed as waste
  • JumblebumbleJumblebumble Forumite
    663 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Old_Lifer said:
    With regard to your email ,  if it was a write-off what value would it have  other than scrap value  and how do you safely repair a write-off?

Try telling that to Copart with reference to the many cars that they sell for way above scrap value
    ( hint some write offs are cosmetic )