Forum Home » Loans

Declaration of Self-Employed (Fluctuating) Income for Loan/ Mortgage Applications

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Declaration of Self-Employed (Fluctuating) Income for Loan/ Mortgage Applications

2 replies 71 views
Tom39Tom39 Forumite
1 posts
Fourth Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
Dear Sirs,
I am self employed and my income has fluctuated substantially over the last three years - and in particular will be substantially LOWER for the current tax year (2019/20) when I file this coming April.
What income should I honestly declare for planned upcoming loan/ mortgage applications? Eg should I file an average of say the last 2 - 3 years HMRC declarations or file (what will be next month) my latest (and substantially lower) HMRC declaration?
Obviously I would wish to apply for as big a loan/ mortgage as I legitimately can (say based upon my 2-3 year average income), but - given that loan/ mortgage applications are rightly forwarded to HMRC for scrutiny of the income declarations - I wouldn't wish to risk an HMRC investigation because my loan/mortgage declaration and latest HMRC declaration don't match.
Please advise!

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will vary by lender, so make sure you check with them directly.
  • edited 24 March at 4:13PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    71.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 March at 4:13PM
    Speak to a mortgage broker. Lenders differ in their approaches. A decline in the last trading year will obviously influence any decision. 
    Lenders are able to ask HMRC for confirmation of declared earnings. 
    I would suggest that submission of differing figures should be avoided. 
    “An investor who has all the answers doesn’t even understand all the questions.” - John Templeton