Forum Home » Consumer Rights

Unreasonable Hotel cancellation fee

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Unreasonable Hotel cancellation fee

15 replies 703 views
cedricsmithcedricsmith Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie

I had booked a Hotel in Skegness for April with a £20 deposit on the phone, booking was for Myself, my Wife and my Granddaughter. I am 70 years old in May and my wife is 66 years old, I have the lung condition C.O.P.D.

On the governments advice I have cancelled the booking with three weeks to go, but now the hotel are claiming a further £169 to make up half the full cost of booking, they said it is due to there Hotel policy and if I do not pay then the booking will not be cancelled and I will be a no show which will mean I will be responsible for the full amount.

How enforceable is there Hotel policy ? and what are my rights ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had booked a Hotel in Skegness for April with a £20 deposit on the phone, booking was for Myself, my Wife and my Granddaughter. I am 70 years old in May and my wife is 66 years old, I have the lung condition C.O.P.D.

On the governments advice I have cancelled the booking with three weeks to go, but now the hotel are claiming a further £169 to make up half the full cost of booking, they said it is due to there Hotel policy and if I do not pay then the booking will not be cancelled and I will be a no show which will mean I will be responsible for the full amount.

Given you are cancelling just 3 weeks before, then their charge is fair, given it is unlikely they will be able to rebook the room. What did your T&Cs state?

If they do rebook the room, however, then they need to refund less an admin fee. 

Why not not just go ahead and enjoy the fresh air at the sea side??

You can also claim on your travel insurance. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • AlfrescodaveAlfrescodave Forumite
    763 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    pinkshoes said:

Why not not just go ahead and enjoy the fresh air at the sea side??

You can also claim on your travel insurance. 
    Assuming OP has travel insurance and declared a pre existing condition. 
    I agree with you, why not go ahead with the trip and enjoy the break
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Entirely enforceable. You have chosen to cancel based on advice (which is something you can follow or not as you please). If that advice were to turn into a prohibition obviously the situation would be different but currently it isn't. Your medical conditions are totally outside the hotel's control. 

The hotel have a duty to use reasonable efforts to minimise their losses, so if they do re-let the rooms you would be entitled to a partial refund, less reasonable admin costs.

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree with the above answers.
    It will be interesting to see just how the Governments proposed 
    >>Every Briton over the age of 70 will be told "within the coming weeks" to stay at home for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.<<
    Will effect such as the OP's situation.
    While I feel for the travel industry. If we are told to stay at home, is it fair that customers are punished for following the advice. If these hotels want people to rebook with them, then they need to be fair in these situations.
    And just who takes out travel ins when in the UK?
  • edited 15 March at 3:25PM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 March at 3:25PM
    >>Every Briton over the age of 70 will be told "within the coming weeks" to stay at home for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.<<
    While I feel for the travel industry. If we are told to stay at home, is it fair that customers are punished for following the advice. If these hotels want people to rebook with them, then they need to be fair in these situations.
    After this, we will all learn to take travel insurance for all holidays . Is it not fair to give advice that may protect people from illness etc. It's advice given for their own good.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the booking terms? Did they send you anything by email or post? Hotel rooms are usually either fully cancellable up to a date, sometimes the date of arrival, or they're non refundable, or there's a cancellation fee, usually one night's stay. They would need to show you agreed to the terms of the booking.
  • FosterdogFosterdog Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP is not yet over 70 and neither is his wife so they wouldn't yet be part of any quarantine, if they lowered it to 65 then ther may be a chance.
  • edited 15 March at 4:11PM
    UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 March at 4:11PM
    But as I said it is advice at the moment and nothing more. So, rightly or wrongly it is up to the individual whether to follow the advice.

As far as I can see it is similar to having a winter break booked then finding that there is exceptionally bad weather. We may well be advised not to make "non essential" journeys. Ultimately though it is up to the individual to assess the risk and decide how "essential" their journey may be. I doubt there would be a deluge of posts on here from people expecting the hotel to carry the can.

Yes, it is frustrating and nobody likes being out of pocket. However you have to take some financial risks in life and insure yourself against larger risks than you are prepared to accept.
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    zagfles said:
    What are the booking terms? Did they send you anything by email or post? Hotel rooms are usually either fully cancellable up to a date, sometimes the date of arrival, or they're non refundable, or there's a cancellation fee, usually one night's stay. They would need to show you agreed to the terms of the booking.
    Yes, but that doesn't have to be in writing. No doubt the terms are on the website and in any brochures and I am sure the hotel will claim that they were explained on the phone and accepted when the OP paid the initial deposit. 
  • The_RainmakerThe_Rainmaker Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

They won't be rebooking anything if the hotel is out of business.  Why should the business take the hit they are probably less likely to be able to afford it.

OP should pay now and see if a discount may be available for some future date.
    "When yer tea's oot, yer tea's oot"