Forum Home » Consumer Rights

Couldn’t contact travel company to change booking

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Couldn’t contact travel company to change booking

6 replies 262 views
ebbicus19ebbicus19 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I wanted to change my flights due to the coronavirus, which the airline was allowing but I had to go through my travel agency lastminute.com. I couldn’t change my flights online as I was flying out in less than 24 hours and the company was answering their phones. My flight has now departed. I know I am unlikely to get a refund as my flight wasn’t cancelled but what are my rights around rescheduling as it was the company’s fault not mine? 

Replies

• Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ebbicus19 said:
    I wanted to change my flights due to the coronavirus, which the airline was allowing but I had to go through my travel agency lastminute.com. I couldn’t change my flights online as I was flying out in less than 24 hours and the company was answering their phones. My flight has now departed. I know I am unlikely to get a refund as my flight wasn’t cancelled but what are my rights around rescheduling as it was the company’s fault not mine? 
    Why is it their fault that you wanted to change your flights with less than 24 hours notice?

You have no right to a rescheduled flight, you're relying on their goodwill.
  • ebbicus19ebbicus19 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you can’t get in contact with a company, no matter the reason, that is a problem. I am entitled to a rescheduled flight as that is the policy of the airline operating the flight. But I need to do it via lastminute.com and I am unsure if I can still reschedule a flight that has already taken off...
  • edited 14 March at 12:23PM
    k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 March at 12:23PM
    ebbicus19 said:
    If you can’t get in contact with a company, no matter the reason, that is a problem. I am entitled to a rescheduled flight as that is the policy of the airline operating the flight. But I need to do it via lastminute.com and I am unsure if I can still reschedule a flight that has already taken off...
    No you can't reschedule a flight that's gone - you're going to have to appeal to the better nature of LM and probably provide them with significant proof of multiple attempts to contact them.

Also bear in mind you're bound by LM's T&C's, not those of the airline with whom you have no contract
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, well you seem to understand your rights better than I do, so I'll Duck out.
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why choose a middleman (and a terrible one at that) rather than booking direct with the airline?
    These third party ticket floggers can be difficult to deal with at the best of times. (very well documented if you spend 5 mins to look at reviews)

• hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you not have messaged them by other means, to inform them you'd tried but couldn't get through?