Forum Home » Debt-Free Wannabe

Are CCAs ever located later?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Are CCAs ever located later?

2 replies 83 views
DogFaceDogFace Forumite
38 posts
10 Posts Name Dropper
Has anyone had (or even heard of anyone having) debt collectors say they can’t locate a CCA, only for it to turn up later and becoming enforceable again?

I made my requests in November... I should be in the clear, right?

Replies

• Suseka97Suseka97 Forumite
    956 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I recall a thread some time ago, although cannot locate it, where someone did say that a previous UE debt did become enforceable again.  But I think that's very rare.  More and more people are submitting CCA requests and so DCAs are getting swamped.  I think whether a DCA will bother to keep trying to track paperwork down, may be linked to the value of the debt owed.  I'd hazard a guess that they have some sort of approach whereby debts below a certain value are simply not cost effective to continue to chase.  But unless you work for one of them - you're never really going to know.  

A piece of advice I was given from someone on a different forum to this one was not to chase for the CCA response - but to simply sit back and wait - however long that takes.  Also, don't now acknowledge the debt because that starts the statute barred clock ticking.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    20.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not so much a case of an old document eventually turning up, although once or twice that may have happened, because the creditor can re-constitute a copy agreement perfectly legitimately, using information held on file, and/or from various other sources.

However they cannot simply make this information up, it must be accessible to them, and it must be pertinent to the agreement concerned, this is why you should not chase these things up, or ever get into protracted conversations with these people, if they can glean information from you for their records, they can then use those records to re-constitute a copy agreement, you must be very careful, and give them as little information as possible, you never know when it will be used against you.

Stop contacting them, your file will drop to the bottom of the pile, and will be quietly forgotten about.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.