New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Private Parking Ticket Appeal

6 replies 51 views
Bellie710Bellie710 Forumite
3 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I have received a parking ticket for stopping in a no stopping area in a private car park.  It was a car park next to a McDonalds which I drove into, one of the signs was on the left as you drive out the drive thru so I would never have seen it, I never noticed the other signs until I reversed in and parked.  They have pictures of me in the parking area and I am there for a whole 26 seconds, I literally drove in reversed into the space, turned off the engine then saw the sign saying no parking so I drove out again.  I appealed to them and they said no you are still wrong you have to pay but you can appeal to IAS if you want.
I have tried to appeal to IAS but they say they don't recognise the parking charge reference?
Now I can't contact the IAS directly I have to write to them, and I have tried phoning the original company that sent me the ticket but I just keep getting a recorded message.  Everyone has told me just to ignore it but I'm not sure whether I should or not!

Replies

• D_P_DanceD_P_Dance Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
     and I have tried phoning the original company 

Never ever 'phone a scammer, have you not read the stickies?

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • edited 27 February at 11:31AM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    28K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 February at 11:31AM
    Name the parking company

Download and read the IPC CoP , reading grace periods
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Bellie710Bellie710 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Parking company are I Park Services Ltd, they are an IPC accredited operator?
  • nosferatu1001nosferatu1001 Forumite
    7.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Youre on pepipoo so let us know that! Always helpful.
    Give poeple HERE a link over there, as you hgave a few more posts there. 
  • Bellie710Bellie710 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm not on pepipoo, no idea what that is so don't have a link??
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    83.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bellie710 said:
    Parking company are I Park Services Ltd
    Forget IAS and ignore it unless they try a doomed small claim, basically! 

Complete scam, this one, but keep all the daft demand letters in case you get a court claim in the end, and make sure you email or write (no phone calls to scammers) if you move house, to tell them your new address.  This is to make sure you don't miss a court claim, as in this Country the standard deadline is up to 6 years to file them.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD