New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Can I ask to cancel a purchase?

3 replies 172 views
A_Frayed_KnotA_Frayed_Knot Forumite
3.1K posts
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
Hi, Heard about and read about hundreds of times, (should know better!!!)
bought an item (3 figure sum) on the 18th Feb just after midnight, delivery Friday 21st.
Received message not able to post Thursday would Monday be OK, I said, yes, need to know when posted, to accept delivery next day.
Monday came and went - no message, so I messaged asking if posted yet?  No reply.
Today Wed, I messaged again, and got a reply stating due to work and her mother been taken into hospital, so did not have a chance to post yet, and will do so before work tomorrow,
Strange as she managed to list 2 more items on the Saturday, which makes me think she could have posted Saturday, and when I first saw her listings there was 3 items and 1 has disappeared all together, not on sold or completed items.
Now having doubts, can I just send a message saying I want a refund before she posts ?
or am I just being Mrs Suspicious, too quickly?
Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
Now selling everything that's not nailed down - I Will Declutter !!!:D

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    64.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s a business you can request a cancellation via eBay ,a good business would probably accept and move on. If it’s a private seller then you can still try but you have no leeway to force them to do so. 

You can of course send the item back for a full refund (at your own cost) once received if this is a business, that’s why I suggest a business is more likely to accept your request.

Alternatively if the estimated delivery date has passed open an INR then selelr can choose to either send or cancel.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • A_Frayed_KnotA_Frayed_Knot Forumite
    3.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Soolin,
    I'm probably just being a bit impatient.  Delivery date was last Friday and they do accept returns, so I should still be ok if things don't turn out as expected. She does say she will post all items before work tomorrow (?) but she only has my item to post (?)
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
    Now selling everything that's not nailed down - I Will Declutter !!!:D
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would open an INR and that should focus her mind.  She then (assuming she hasn't posted) has the option to refund you without losing her outward postage - something you could point out if you want a refund.