Seller keen to buy very quickly and to pay through Paypal - is this a scam?

I listed a few things on Gum Tree, and very quickly had an email from a would-be buyer who asked me to take one item off sale, as he was definitely wanting to buy it, and would pay the full price through Paypal. He wants to collect via courier asap. It's a couple of antique beds, and he doesn't have any questions. It sounds a bit suspicious. He also communicates outside Gum Tree. I tried replying to him on GT but he didn't respond, so I had to write to the email he gave. What should I watch out for? I know that Paypal tends to favour buyers rather than sellers. I don't want to go through the hassle of having something picked up and then losing it and the money as well.

Replies

•  Avoid he's a scammer. He'll lodge a claim with PayPal and leave you out of pocket 
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ascribe2 said:
    I listed a few things on Gum Tree, and very quickly ghad an email from a would-be buyer who asked me to take one item off sale, as he was definitely wanting to buy it, and would pay the full price through Paypal. He wants to collect via courier asap. It's a couple of antique beds, and he doesn't have any questions. It sounds a bit suspicious. He also communicates outside Gum Tree. I tried replying to him on GT but he didn't respond, so I had to write to the email he gave. What should I watch out for? I know that Paypal tends to favour buyers rather than sellers. I don't want to go through the hassle of having something picked up and then losing it and the money as well.
    Just ask yourself how are you going to protect yourself against a PayPal claim?

this is a common and obvious scam, if selling online always learn how to,protect yourself and what to watch for. The sticky postage thread covers paypal seller protection. 

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • ascribe2ascribe2 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for the warning.
    How *does* one protect oneself against Paypal claim back in such instances? Paypal seems to favour the buyer rather than the seller.
  • edited 25 February 2020 at 5:47PM
    Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2020 at 5:47PM
    ascribe2 said:
    Thanks for the warning.
    How *does* one protect oneself against Paypal claim back in such instances? Paypal seems to favour the buyer rather than the seller.
    You don't let them send a courier to pick it up, and you don't let them collect in person. You would have to arrange delivery yourself and charge them for it, hypothetically, if this were a buyer who didn't insist on communicating outside of Gumtree and was someone who gave you no other reason not to trust them. Then you would have proof of delivery to their address (the one shown on their PayPal account once they've paid) which would cover you against an INR case.

Of course the absolute safest way is to insist on cash on collection only ;)
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ascribe2 said:
    Thanks for the warning.
    The sticky thread explains it all. As spoonie says, you need to actually read the seller protection rules on PayPal, first and foremost is to be able to prove delivery to the address they provide.

if you are contemplating taking online payments you really must read the terms and conditions of any service you use.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • edited 25 February 2020 at 6:05PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2020 at 6:05PM
    Old as the hills.  You get  a (fake) e-mail from pay pal telling you that the buyer has mistakenly paid more (much more) than the asking price, and that they can't release the actual amount to you until you have refunded the surplus.  Just click on the handy link with your full bank details handy....
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ascribe2 said:
    Thanks for the warning.
    You protect yourself by organising the courier yourself. PayPal require YOU to provide your OWN tracking number.

I would suggest that you go back to this bank buyer and say that you are happy for him to send a courier, but he needs to pay via bank transfer.

£5 says he never contacts you again, or you get a reply trying to convince you how safe PayPal is!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Worth a note that Paypal Buyer Protection excludes transactions where:

1. purchases of items which you [the buyer] collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf (including at a retail point of sale) and which you claim to be Not Received
    That's not to disagree that in this instance the situation is a scam.  
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals