Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Parcel2Go con by stripping away compensation

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Parcel2Go con by stripping away compensation

15 replies 341 views
Hi

I sell on eBay and have been using Parcelforce 48 for years, for the service and size/weight of my parcel and the price I pay it includes £100 compensation as standard as it is a standard part of Parcelforce 48 - it’s not an additional feature or charge to have this cover, it’s included as part of the service. 

Someone recently mentioned I should try Parcel2go as it works with ebay and automates the sending and tracking info etc directly into ebay and it works quite well. 

So I started sending my items via Parcel2go but still using Parcelforce 48 as per the previous years. 

Recently a parcel arrived damaged so I was thinking it would be, as normal a straightforward claim against Parcelforce but Parcel2go say I have zero compensation. 

(Yes I do recall about p2go offering additional compensation on the checkout page)

However my point is this, I purchased Parcelforce 48, albeit through an agent but I still purchased Parcelforce 48 with its £100 compensation feature as standard. If P2Go want to amend the service and strip parts of it away then it’s no longer Parcelforce 48 and they should rebrand it Parcelforce P2Go. 

If you go to the Apple store and buy a certain MacBook that has 512gb and then you go to Argos and buy the exact same MacBook you don’t expect to find it will have 256gb as you’ve bought the exact same branded product with all its advertised features. 

Needless to say P2Go have said “tough” and granted I’m going to lose out but just wanted to warn others. 

Will go back to using Parcelforce direct from now on. 

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the problem with a parcel broker, their cheaper prices are often due to them using a lesser service. However, it is completely upfront, it could not be made clearer and quite often using the full service direct from the courier can work out cheaper than going through a broker.  
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • sonypc100sonypc100 Forumite
    122 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    soolin said:
    This is the problem with a parcel broker, their cheaper prices are often due to them using a lesser service. However, it is completely upfront, it could not be made clearer and quite often using the full service direct from the courier can work out cheaper than going through a broker.  
    Yeah, I don't disagree but if it's a lesser or changed service then they should not brand it Parcelforce 48 as it isnt actually what they are selling you.

• Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    sonypc100 said:

If you go to the Apple store and buy a certain MacBook that has 512gb and then you go to Argos and buy the exact same MacBook you don’t expect to find it will have 256gb as you’ve bought the exact same branded product with all its advertised features. 
    I get your point but actually that's not the case - often tech products will have versions exclusive to certain retailers, and you have to read the info very carefully to make sure whether you're buying the lesser-specced or exclusive, better-specced version. So in this analogy, Parcelforce48 probably has the compensation as standard exclusively through PF themselves. The 'lesser-specced', cheaper version they sell through P2G evidently doesn't include the compensation.
    122 posts
    sonypc100 said:

I get your point but actually that's not the case - often tech products will have versions exclusive to certain retailers, and you have to read the info very carefully to make sure whether you're buying the lesser-specced or exclusive, better-specced version. So in this analogy, Parcelforce48 probably has the compensation as standard exclusively through PF themselves. The 'lesser-specced', cheaper version they sell through P2G evidently doesn't include the compensation.
    They do but if you look very carefully they will have a different model number so take an LG tv it will be branded 
    LGlg43um7500 on one site and on another site where it is essentially the same tv but with a small spec difference is will be the
    lg43uma7500

But the analogy works with whatever, if you buy a british airways directly from ba it comes with hand luggage as standard, if you buy it from a travel agent it also comes with hand luggage as standard as it is a standard part of the offering, my point still stands that if P2GO and taking a service and amending the published features of the service then it becomes something else and should be branded differently.
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Parcelforce 48" simply refers to the delivery service and not any compensation offered.
    Special Delivery" which has varying levels of compensation available depending on how much you need and are willing to pay for but whether you pick the cheapest one which comes with £500 compo or opt to pay for £2500 compensation, the two services are both called "Special Delivery"

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The insurance cover shouldn't be a surprise as after you put in the value on P2G's site it nags you to pay extra for additional compensation.  I self insure on the basis that the extra I would pay on each parcel will easily exceed the occasional losses I might have (no more than 1 in 500).
    122 posts
    "Parcelforce 48" simply refers to the delivery service and not any compensation offered.
    Special Delivery" which has varying levels of compensation available depending on how much you need and are willing to pay for but whether you pick the cheapest one which comes with £500 compo or opt to pay for £2500 compensation, the two services are both called "Special Delivery"

No, Parcelforce 48 is a product that includes, as standard £100 compensation, with an option to increase this.
    https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/enhanced-compensation
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sonypc100 said:

No, Parcelforce 48 is a product that includes, as standard £100 compensation, with an option to increase this.
    You are linking to the Parcelforce site. Why? You didnt buy from them.
    Where do you think the discount comes from?
    PF offer a lower price without features of buying direct and removing the customer service responsibility.
    You didnt buy a service with £100 compensation. A lesson on reading what is in front of you,not what you assume is.
  • edited 22 February at 4:06PM
    sonypc100sonypc100 Forumite
    122 posts
    edited 22 February at 4:06PM
    custardy said:
    sonypc100 said:

You are linking to the Parcelforce site. Why? You didnt buy from them.
    Where do you think the discount comes from?
    PF offer a lower price without features of buying direct and removing the customer service responsibility.
    You didnt buy a service with £100 compensation. A lesson on reading what is in front of you,not what you assume is.
    I am linking to it as it is relevant to the post I quoted.

Yes, as per my OP I have learnt a lesson as I freely admit. I have made this post so if others Google "p2go parcelforce 48" it will hopefully warn and help others.
    Or maybe we shouldn't post about our experiences and instead all just try to be smart a*** keyboard warriors instead?

• RFWRFW Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why did you buy from P2Go as opposed to direct from Parcelforce?

I'll guess because it was cheaper. I don't see how you can call it a "con", it's misleading at best but only to those who have a preconceived notion of what the service is. I'd suggest taking that comment down as it seems quite libellous.