New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Power of attorney (time frame?)

3 replies 151 views
Gavin78Gavin78 Forumite
245 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
How long should it take to get power of attorney? looked on google and it says 8-10 weeks?
I posted in a thread the other day about my MIL going into a nursing home.
This just adds to the top up of things he's told me.
So she has Vascular Dementia and was diagnosed around 2/3 years ago however for probably the last year it's been at it's worst. my FIL told me that he had gone for POA back in June last year. Not 100% sure how he got a signiture from her but it was witnessed in a Solicitors I found all this out in January this year.
The other day when there was talk of him wanting to send her into a nursing home he menationed that he still hasn't heard from them since he last spoke to them about 6/7 weeks ago when they told him not to worry it's all still being sorted. However having looked on google other than any complications it should have been sorted in a few months I checked out the Solicitors and they seem legit but he's handed them over £1300 to sort this.

He can be pretty clueless with some things so I haven't gone down the route yet of getting involved but wondering if I should at this point?

Replies

• edited 18 February at 3:47PM
    Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 February at 3:47PM
    The lead time from submitting the application to registration is around 8 weeks, however are you sure it was an LPA that was applied for rather than deputyship, which is a lot more long winded and expensive.

If she has LPAs in place it is unfortunate that he is the only attorney, it is always best to appoint more than one and appoint at least one from a younger generation.

Yes you should get involved, and he should be looking at getting his own LPAs in place, which you can help him with, rather than using expensive solicitors.
  • ce181ce181 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It took nearly 4 months to get my mums LPA through and now the banks are making it really difficult to register with them. Both Nat west and Barclays have initially told me on the phone that they cant find them even though they were submitted on line using their forms and I have reference numbers.  TSB sorted it within 10 days and Lloyds have been very helpful.  Getting the LPA is just the start of problems in my experience!
  • edited 13 July at 10:47AM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    23.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 July at 10:47AM
    As Kee--pedalling says, you  need to check whether it is LPA or deputyship.  It's not a matter of just getting a signature, the solicitors have a duty to check that the person has capacity to agree to and complete an LPA and  to nominate who they would like to act for them, particularly where there is a dementia diagnosis. It can be challenged via the OPG otherwise. If it is an LPA, the solicitor should have advised mum to add a second person as otherwise, if dad is  not able to act for any reason it becomes invalid. 
    If it's a deputyship they were taking over 8 months in normal times, and we are not currently in normal times. 
    If you want to check whether there is anything in place at the moment, you can look here. You do not need anyone's consent as it is a matter of public record. They usually reply within a few days. 
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/search-public-guardian-registers
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.