New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Power of attorney (time frame?)

1 reply 101 views
Gavin78Gavin78 Forumite
243 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
✭✭
How long should it take to get power of attorney? looked on google and it says 8-10 weeks?
I posted in a thread the other day about my MIL going into a nursing home.
This just adds to the top up of things he's told me.
So she has Vascular Dementia and was diagnosed around 2/3 years ago however for probably the last year it's been at it's worst. my FIL told me that he had gone for POA back in June last year. Not 100% sure how he got a signiture from her but it was witnessed in a Solicitors I found all this out in January this year.
The other day when there was talk of him wanting to send her into a nursing home he menationed that he still hasn't heard from them since he last spoke to them about 6/7 weeks ago when they told him not to worry it's all still being sorted. However having looked on google other than any complications it should have been sorted in a few months I checked out the Solicitors and they seem legit but he's handed them over £1300 to sort this.

He can be pretty clueless with some things so I haven't gone down the route yet of getting involved but wondering if I should at this point?

Replies

• edited 18 February at 4:47PM
    Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 February at 4:47PM
    The lead time from submitting the application to registration is around 8 weeks, however are you sure it was an LPA that was applied for rather than deputyship, which is a lot more long winded and expensive.

If she has LPAs in place it is unfortunate that he is the only attorney, it is always best to appoint more than one and appoint at least one from a younger generation.

Yes you should get involved, and he should be looking at getting his own LPAs in place, which you can help him with, rather than using expensive solicitors.