New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Car insurance

5 replies 142 views
Shak123Shak123 Forumite
6 posts
Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi guys

just a general enquiry. 

So today i scraped someones car by accident when i was parking my car. I informed the driver and gave my car insurance details. I informed my insurance company as well. While going through the claim with the claim advisor, she asked me had i had any points on my license. Last year i had gotten three in march. For a sp30. I did not know that you had to report it to the insurance company. It was an honest mistake from me. She said she would have to put me through to the underwriter and discuss with them. But the phone cut off and i had to return back to work. When i rang back, the underwriters department had closed.

I just wanted some idea of what may happen. I genuinely didnt know i had to inform my insurance company of points on my license. 

My minds just all over the place due to so much happening in my life with my family, personal life. That a little bit of clarity on what to expect would help me just cope a little. 

Replies

• edited 18 February at 1:51AM
    Shak123Shak123 Forumite
    6 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 18 February at 1:51AM
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's in the T&C's about declaring changes, but that's not helping you now.

If they wouldn't have insured you with the points, they will cancel your policy from the date it started.

If they would have insured you with the points, they will recalculate the premium and ask you for the difference.

They may not like it that you didn't report the change, resulting in your policy being cancelled.

Depending on the above, for the accident:
    -- they may settle the tp claim and your damage.
    -- they may settle the tp claim and pursue you for it.

• Shak123Shak123 Forumite
    6 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just thought i would update. I rang my insurqnce company today. And i explained i really didnt know. They offered me two options, either pay an additional £83.40 and continue with my policy and claim. Or not accept it and find a policy elsewhere. 

I paid the £83.40. They were really understanding. Im so relieved. 
  • KATIELLKATIELL Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My husband has always had a company van but has now taken redundancy, is there away he can get anything to say he has no claims, as otherwise when he buys a car it looks like he's never had insurance and the price may be huge.  
  • chriswchrisw Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    KATIELL said:
    My husband has always had a company van but has now taken redundancy, is there away he can get anything to say he has no claims, as otherwise when he buys a car it looks like he's never had insurance and the price may be huge.  
    Should have started a new thread really.

But he should be able to get a letter from his former employers confirming that he had has not made any claims.

He can then take this to an insurance broker who might be able to find a company that will accept his no claim record. They will not give a no claim bonus as such, but will often give an introductory discount which could be around 30%.