New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Iphone 5 is locked

8 replies 111 views
TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
997 posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Hi

I bought an Iphone 5 over 3 years ago - I barely used it because I couldn't get on with it and ended up going back to my old Samsung.
I now want to put it up for sale (whilst I might still get something for it) but I can't get into it as I can't remember the password.
I've tried looking at a few Youtube videos but can't help but think they are some sort of scam - either wanting you to download software or putting up a link taking you to a different website where they charge you for some software.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the password and that it definitely works?

Many thanks
Terrysdelight

Replies

• renegadefmrenegadefm Forumite
    773 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    If its only the normal password just use iTunes to factory reset it 
    If like me I bought a second hand iphone 5 that had the need for original owners activation user name and password which has rendered the phone useless. 
  • edited 17 February at 11:12PM
    TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
    997 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 11:12PM
    I am the original owner.  I've downloaded ITunes but it is saying I don't have an apple id.  I have loads of emails in my account from apple saying I have reset my password etc.   I've tried logging in but it says it can't find an ID for me.  I've also got to another stage where I am to answer my secret questions - all of which I do know the answer to, but it says too many variables entered.
    Dos this mean I will never be able to access my phone again?
  • TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even the FBI can't break into a passcode locked iPhone. An iTunes reset will only work if you know the Apple ID and password used when the phone was activated.
  • edited 17 February at 11:25PM
    callum5callum5 Forumite
    35 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 17 February at 11:25PM
    You can reset the iPhone via iTunes (you will lose all data on phone) and on next set up it will ask for iCloud email and password (if any) to use, if there is an iCloud password it should be pretty easy to reset if you only use one or two email addresses and can request a password reset for both and work out from there

You can check if your iPhone is iCloud locked by using the website below and entering IMEI (found on back of phone)

imei24.com/check/iphone_icloud/
  • TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
    997 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in!!   I just searched on my messages to my son and found the pass no - yay!
  • edited 18 February at 12:56AM
    debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 February at 12:56AM
    You may think that password managers and iKeychain etc are fool proof but sadly the only fool proof app is Pen and Paper o:)
    Especially when you get to my age
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good. Don't forget to disable "Find my iPhone" before selling it.
  • dan958dan958 Forumite
    450 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You may think that password managers and iKeychain etc are fool proof but sadly the only fool proof app is Pen and Paper o:)
    Especially when you get to my age
    You just have to hope that nobody gets access to your little password book.