New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Rights after divorce

6 replies 753 views
Siggy2304Siggy2304 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I'm recently divorced, I've paid 15 years towards the joint mortgage. My wife arranged to sign me off the mortgage and I believe I've signed over the house too. What rights do I have when it comes to getting my share of the house?
Thanks, Simon.

Replies

• kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you deal with financial arrangements as part of the divorce?
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    22K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's probably a question you should have asked before you signed everything over.
    Have you had a conversation about all the assets - savings, pensions etc as well as the house. How much equity is there in the property? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have signed away all your rights. Did you get legal advice while you negotiated the financial settlement? 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • SocajamSocajam Forumite
    810 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

The crap people do and then come on here and ask questions
    The best time was to obtain all the facts, tell your ex you are thinking things over and come on here and ask questions.
    I just hope that you have not signed over all your worthy goods.
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Siggy2304 said:
    My wife arranged to sign me off the mortgage 
    Siggy2304 said:
    I believe I've signed over the house too. 
    Siggy2304 said:
    What rights do I have when it comes to getting my share of the house?
    On the face of the contents of your post - none!  But this must be a misunderstanding on your part.  Surely you did not hand over the house to her without taking legal advice.    
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that you didn't have an order at the time of the divorce , and that you have not remarried, it is likely that you an still make a financial claim to settle things following the divorce. 

A court would have to decide what was fair and can look at all the circumstances, including the fact that you signed the house over, which may mean that it would not be fair to try to force an immediate sale - particularly if the new mortgage involved your wife paying application fees and getting a new mortgage with ERC etc. 
    You would also have to consider any other assets such as pensions.

The sensible thing to do would be to see a solicitor and get some proper advice. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)