»

Asda credit card late payment pebalty

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Asda credit card late payment pebalty

9 replies 313 views
cnevin12cnevin12 Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
My minimum payment was due on the 7th which I paid on that date and got an email saying it was processed. It wasn’t credited to my account until the 10th by which time they charged me a late default sum. I’m worried it could damage my credit rating as they have said they won’t remove it. Is there anything I can do?

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    69.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Set up a direct debit to ensure at least the minimum amount that is due is paid on time every month. 
    "Markets have been so good for so long. That many investors are trivialising the advantages of actively managing portfolio risk." - Gervais Williams
  • edited 17 February at 7:20PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 7:20PM
    Hi cnevin12 and welcome to the forum  :)

Was the minimum contractual payment made by Direct Debit?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • cnevin12cnevin12 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    No I paid it from my current account which I’ve always done and it’s always been credited on time but this time they took 4 days. Is there anyway to get them to refund this and or not put it on my credit report as a missed payment?
    I though it harsh as I had the email saying it had been processed on time. 
    Thanks for all advice offered 

• edited 17 February at 9:04PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 9:04PM
    I believe a Faster Payment should arrive on your account by the end of the following working day.  When did you make the payment and when was it posted on your account?

If you have made the payment without allowing processing time, then you need to ring up Asda and ask for a goodwill gesture.  Be real polite and humble.  Explain that it was your fault and that this will never happen again.  Whilst being super-friendly, you could ask that because it is an isolated payment problem, would they forego recording a late payment marker on your credit files.  Also ask about the whether the £12 charge could be waived. 

I recommend you set up a Direct Debit to make the minimum contractual payment each month.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • cnevin12cnevin12 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I paid on the 7th and it wasn’t credited until the 10th. Although I got an confirmation email on the 7th saying it had been processed by them 
  • flashg67flashg67 Forumite
    3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if processed is the same as received - if you paid on  Friday 7th and payment can take til the next working day, this would be the Monday 10th, so not actually 4 days, but one day. This might sound harsh, but leaving it to the last day is pushing it. I've done the same and faced losing a promotional rate, but a call sorted it out. I think you should try asking nicely - the call handler may have a bit of leeway. Dire debit for minimum payment is a good idea
  • edited 20 February at 11:44AM
    phillwphillw Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 11:44AM
    cnevin12 said:
    I paid on the 7th and it wasn’t credited until the 10th. Although I got an confirmation email on the 7th saying it had been processed by them 
    I am assuming you mean you told them to take a payment from your debit card? They won't have the money on the 7th, even though they have processed your request, so you are in fact late.
    If you send them money with a faster payment and it arrives before their cut off time (probably around 4pm) then you can get away with it.
    If you use a direct debit and it goes wrong then it's not your fault, one of my cards doesn't actually take payments until 5 days after it's due every month and there is no problem.
    I personally would phone them up and complain about the late payment fee and when they explain just say you found it confusing that they told you the payment had been processed and would have sent a faster payment if you had known and ask them if they would waive it and any interest if you setup a direct debit so it doesn't happen again. If you are really nice they will often do this one time as good will. If they don't then thank them for their time you but tell them you want to complain anyway. If it doesn't go anywhere then you can always ask for a deadlock letter for the ombudsman, it can work if you are polite but persistent.
    I don't know if they can send through a "correction" to your credit file to remove the late marker as my recent "transgressions" were caught before the new statement was produced, but as long as you don't do it again then it won't really matter.
  • Alex9384Alex9384 Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi all.
    If I paid a minimum payment by direct debit and then paid the rest by faster payments, would this show up on my credit report as minimum payment or as full payment?
  • Vee2017Vee2017 Forumite
    25 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    Alex9384 said:
    Hi all.
    If I paid a minimum payment by direct debit and then paid the rest by faster payments, would this show up on my credit report as minimum payment or as full payment?
    If you made the manual payment before the next statement was due then it would show as a full payment for that month.