»

Buyer using freight forwarding service - how do I protect myself?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Buyer using freight forwarding service - how do I protect myself?

2 replies 171 views
Although I don't sell internationally, and don't use GSP, a buyer using a freight forwarding service in Northern Ireland has won one of my auctions.  The address they've given is a DPD depot in Antrim, which I understand forwards parcels on to customers in the Republic of Ireland and charges them a fee for the service.  I'm guessing this works in a similar way to the GSP - I get the parcel to the Antrim DPD depot, and from that point on DPD take responsibility for it.  Which all sounds very good in theory, but not something I've got experience of.  I was going to send the parcel as Signed For, so presumably as long as I can prove someone at the DPD depot signed for it, I've fulfilled my end of the deal, and if anything goes wrong further down the delivery chain, it's DPD's problem to sort.  Is there anything else I need to do to keep myself safe?
© Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    64.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuilean said:
    Although I don't sell internationally, and don't use GSP, a buyer using a freight forwarding service in Northern Ireland has won one of my auctions.  The address they've given is a DPD depot in Antrim, which I understand forwards parcels on to customers in the Republic of Ireland and charges them a fee for the service.  I'm guessing this works in a similar way to the GSP - I get the parcel to the Antrim DPD depot, and from that point on DPD take responsibility for it.  Which all sounds very good in theory, but not something I've got experience of.  I was going to send the parcel as Signed For, so presumably as long as I can prove someone at the DPD depot signed for it, I've fulfilled my end of the deal, and if anything goes wrong further down the delivery chain, it's DPD's problem to sort.  Is there anything else I need to do to keep myself safe?
    For INR protection you just need to show delivery to the address given in paypal- if that's the courier address then that is all that is needed.

For  SNAD protection the issue is slightly more muddled/ Technically speaking ebay appear to state that the buyer guarantee does not cover goods shipped onwards, and many I know will argue that means you are safe against a SNAD. However, on the very few occasions (probably 2 or 3 in 20 years) where I have had a SNAD claim after sending to a forwarding address I have always been told by ebay to refund as buyer does still have protection.

However, buyer would then have to return your item and you would only be responsible for the UK part. In my last one the buyer was in the Far east and wanted to return a cheap, sub £10 item as I suspect he had broken it (damage shown in photos looked suspicious and was not consistent with damage occurring en route). He opened a SNAD case and I supplied a UK return label via the ebay system (cost me around £3.10) and buyer spent some time arguing that he needed the cost of return from the Far east- over £13 in total. Ebay said no, and eventually the case timed out without buyer returning item.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • oscarwardoscarward Forumite
    755 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭
    I have sent to  a freight forwarding address for a Eire buyer.  Worked quite well, used Hermes to send to NI and buyer received day after delivered to forwarder.  This was for a facebook sale so not sure of ramification on an ebay sale.