New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Company refuse to pay bonus

9 replies 682 views
worwill71worwill71 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all 
Looking for a bit of advise, my company issued our sales team a bonus scheme last summer. On the letter we each received it says at the bottom the sales teams entire total to be achieved for the year but at the start of the letter it states with in my control. I was the only sales manager to achieve my target and margin but they are saying as the other 5 didn't achieve there targets they refuse to pay me mine, even though I'm not responsible for the other 5 areas only my own. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.
Thank you 
JAY

Replies

• DoxDox Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you reminded them of what the letter to you said and asked for them to explain what appears to be a contradiction?
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the bonus wasn't specified as contractual they can do what they want. 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to speak to management to clear up the contradictions in the letter.  However, as has been said, bonuses are normally discretional rather than contractual, so they can be withdrawn at any time and for any reason - or none.
  • kiddy_guykiddy_guy Forumite
    985 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an opportunity to job hunt. 
  • steampoweredsteampowered Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not clear from your post what was in the letter issued last summer, and what was in the letter you just received.

If you qualified for a bonus under the letter issued last summer, you may be able to pursue that.

If the letter last summer specified a bonus to be achieved by the entire team, then you won't qualify.
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    As Steampowered said its really not clear what the actual wording of the letter is, as it makes no sense to speak about individual and group targets in one breath.

Did they perhaps mean you all had to meet target notwithstanding things beyond your control, such as every member of staff quitting and you needing to train replacements/a meteorite crashing into your place of work rendering it closed for a month etc? Therefore assuming nothing happened beyond the control of the managers, 5/6 failed and therefore no bonus?
  • Guardian911Guardian911 Forumite
    11 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Agree with @_shel, bonuses are discretionary. Our company has just been through this matter a few months ago.
  • JsackerJsacker Forumite
    158 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Agree with @_shel, bonuses are discretionary. Our company has just been through this matter a few months ago.
    .. though there might be, in some circumstances, scope to challenge the withdrawal of a discretionary bonus. It is an older post (Mar 2018) so everything may not be completely relevant now, but this seems to be a good starting point:

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2018/03/a-guide-to-challenging-a-bonus-when-you-should-and-how-to-go-about-it/

• mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    43.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Steampowered said its really not clear what the actual wording of the letter is, as it makes no sense to speak about individual and group targets in one breath.

Did they perhaps mean you all had to meet target notwithstanding things beyond your control, such as every member of staff quitting and you needing to train replacements/a meteorite crashing into your place of work rendering it closed for a month etc? Therefore assuming nothing happened beyond the control of the managers, 5/6 failed and therefore no bonus?
    I would go with the group target needing to be met and outside circumstances being taken into account for that..
    Internet goodness £27654 ckllvwc2btfb.gif