»

Help! This just fell off our car.

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Help! This just fell off our car.

11 replies 811 views
EmmeyEmmey Forumite
38 posts
Part of the Furniture
The car was making a noise like something was hanging off, scraping at low speeds or going over bumps. Then we came round the roundabout and this fell off the car. Drives fine but worried what it is and if it might be crucial? It's metal and about 10cm/15cm or so long and has the number 46 on it

Replies

• shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's my PC playing up, there is no picture or link shown on your post.
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    4.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've no idea what it is. I'd have a look around & see if there's one on one side but not the other somewhere!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's my PC playing up, there is no picture or link shown on your post.
    It is my PC (well, my work computer) playing games. (Just been upgraded to W10 and now pictures not showing).
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Part of an exhaust bracket, perhaps?  When the car is cool, give the exhaust a wobble and see if it's loose.  It's something I think would be low-hanging if loose, which would explain the noises you experienced beforehand. 
  • AlanpAlanp Forumite
    54 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    I’d go for exhaust bit as well, try going on a forum for your particular car, there’s usually lots of knowledgeable people on them, they may be able to help 
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    123 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Emmey said:
    The car was making a noise like something was hanging off, scraping at low speeds or going over bumps. Then we came round the roundabout and this fell off the car. Drives fine but worried what it is and if it might be crucial? It's metal and about 10cm/15cm or so long and has the number 46 on it
    There doesn't seem to be any marks on it, a round mark where it was bolted to the car. It any park of it shiny, where it may have broken off?

• angrycrowangrycrow Forumite
    829 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it fell off your car. It doesn't look like any part I have ever seen except possibly a plate to spread the load around a mounting point but that would mean it being a classic or vintage car. 
    What car are we talking about. 
  • edited 16 February at 9:02PM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 February at 9:02PM
    Has it been used as a tool while working on the car then forgotten about?
    Are you sure it was ever on your car? You could have driven over it, found it in the road then assumed it was what was making the noise.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    Hate the multi post quote. Hate the stupid 21 "badges" in my profile. Complete waste of space needing to be scrolled past daily to find posts you've commented on. Badges? Is this the Brownies?
  • maxmycardagainmaxmycardagain Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    it looks to be cast iron, a material hardly used on modern cars that i know of

Dont worry, be happy
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has it been used as a tool while working on the car then forgotten about?
    Are you sure it was ever on your car? You could have driven over it, found it in the road then assumed it was what was making the noise.
    This is plausible.  I wonder if the 46 is the diameter/length of the hole in mm?  Hard to judge the scale from the photo.