Corona Virus - Travel Insurance

Hi All,
Am due to fly to Thailand in march (was booked months ago).  I have a pre-existing condition (which was declared and approved by T Insurance).  I have contacted the hospital who have issued me with a letter strongly recommending I do not travel due to my condition and the effects of the Corona Virus (in China and surrounding areas).  Should this be ok to cancel my trip ? and claim in under the insurance ?
«1

Replies

  • niktheguruniktheguru Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The only answer is to contact your insurance company and ask. No one else will know the answer.

    im in a similar boat, we were supposed to go to Thailand in March and are travelling with 2 babies. We no longer feel comfortable flying there with the current coronavirus state, more because of the kids. Insurance have told me we are not covered unless the FCO state that the recommendation is that travellers should not go to the country. It course rly doesn’t have restrictions to the majority of Thailand, hence we are not covered,
  • AretnapAretnap Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you have medical advice to the effect that it would be unsafe for you to travel due to your condition then I would say that it should be covered as a cancellation for medical reasons (assuming that you declared the condition when you bought the policy, and that the trip was booked before it became an issue etc). If the person who answers the phone at the insurer tells you that it isn't covered then I'd ask to speak to someone more senior, or look at making a formal complaint.

    It's rather different from the scenario of watching the news and deciding off your own back that you don't want to go any more. 
  • mr9141mr9141 Forumite
    6 Posts
    First Post
    Newbie
    I have a holiday to china booked for September. My insurance says they will only pay out if the travel agent cancels despite the FCO advice. The travel agent will not cancel Fre of charge as they hope the FCO advice will change. Surely the fact I am traveling in September is irrelevant and based on the FCO advice I should have a full refund. Any advice? 
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FCO guidance is based on current situation. Nobody knows what the situation or FCO guidance will be in September
    Many airlines are dealing not issuing cancellations or waivers for that far in advance.
    see this article https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/
    "Note that the right to get a refund or claim on your insurance doesn't necessarily apply to ALL future bookings. So if, for example, you've booked to travel to mainland China much later this year, you may have to wait for the travel company to decide whether to cancel the trip before you can get a refund. We're clarifying with insurers how far ahead they are accepting claims and will update this guide when we know more."
  • Kido250Kido250 Forumite
    76 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Forumite
    I booked a trip to China to see my brother who was working in Shanghai (but is now back). I'm due to fly with Lufthansa on 31st March returning on 13th April but according to their website the flights are cancelled beyond that date. I booked that through Expedia. Should I be contacting Expedia for a refund or Lufthansa direct? I've not had any e-mails from either. I just checked the Lufthansa website. Will I get a refund or will I have to go through my travel insurance provider.
    Thanks. 
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    you will need to go through Expedia, they are the airline's customer (and you are theirs) Expedia will request and receive the refund and then will pass it on to you
  • poshrule_ukposhrule_uk Forumite
    49 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm booked to phuket in March, going to go as things stand unless fco say not too, I see going to tesco soon will be riskier if you get what I mean 
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    14K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    mr9141 said:
    I have a holiday to china booked for September. My insurance says they will only pay out if the travel agent cancels despite the FCO advice. The travel agent will not cancel Fre of charge as they hope the FCO advice will change. Surely the fact I am traveling in September is irrelevant and based on the FCO advice I should have a full refund. Any advice? 
    Of course the date of travel is relevant.  The travel date is 6 months away and it's entirely possible that the coronavirus problems will be over by then.   FCO advice is not to travel at the present time, it says nothing about what you should do 6 months hence.

  • frankiesays1953frankiesays1953 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My daughter has booked for an Italian multi location holiday departing 22nd March, 2 days in Venice, 2 days in Florence and two days in Rome with all accommodation included. As things stand at the moment its only Rome she'll be able to visit and that may change by 22nd March and even if she went she may have to self quarantine for 14 days on return. She failed to buy holiday insurance so has contacted the travel company for advice, they have said that they cannot refund the holiday because the flights (Ryanair) have not been cancelled. This doesn't seem right as she can't possible take the holiday she has purchased other than the last two days. Does she have any recourse?
  • patricia1066patricia1066 Forumite
    314 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My daughter has booked for an Italian multi location holiday departing 22nd March, 2 days in Venice, 2 days in Florence and two days in Rome with all accommodation included. As things stand at the moment its only Rome she'll be able to visit and that may change by 22nd March and even if she went she may have to self quarantine for 14 days on return. She failed to buy holiday insurance so has contacted the travel company for advice, they have said that they cannot refund the holiday because the flights (Ryanair) have not been cancelled. This doesn't seem right as she can't possible take the holiday she has purchased other than the last two days. Does she have any recourse?
    Has your daughter purchased a hotel and flight package from the travel company? If so then they have a responsibility to provide a suitable alternative so she doesn't find herself in quarantine for the holiday. 
    If she purchased flight direct from Ryanair then she will have to wait and see if they cancel, to receive a refund or alternative flight. FCO advice (not to travel) is not binding on travel providers, and if they allow a refund that is discretionary.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals