»

Buyer made mistake and to cancel purchase

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Buyer made mistake and to cancel purchase

5 replies 191 views
What do people do when a buyer changes their mind after paying for something especially for collection.  It's happened to me a few times now and I've always given a full refund, but getting annoyed now at the PayPal fees I keep ending up paying.  10 x 50p has cost me £5.  Just wondering

Thanks All

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    64.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    First
    y you shouldn’t be taking PayPal for a collected item, read the sticky threads about the problem of collection only items and also the postage thread.

Secondly, shay is your PayPal set fee 50p, are you in the UK? A standard account has a fixed fee of 30p and a micro 5p which is what they retain.

lastly, be aware that from a date in May (I think it’s May) all of the PayPal fee will be retained on refund.

the actual problem of people cancelling seems to come in cycles, I went through a period just after Christmas where two or three people cancelled in a space of a month immediately after paying, it’s really annoying but I can’t see anyway of avoiding it unfortunately. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • RajaStyleRajaStyle Forumite
    325 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks yes I'm in the UK I thought it was 50p they kept but could have been 35p, so from May they could keep alot more wow

No way to beat this? Partial refund or something . 
  • edited 14 February at 3:55PM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    64.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 February at 3:55PM
    RajaStyle said:
    Thanks yes I'm in the UK I thought it was 50p they kept but could have been 35p, so from May they could keep alot more wow

No way to beat this? Partial refund or something . 
    It's 30p or 5p  in the UK. The problem with a partial refund, is a) unless you refund in full and cancel the transaction in ebay you don't get your FVFs on ebay back. and b) a buyer just has to open an INR to get the remaining money back if you withhold some. 

The May thing is going to be a bit of an issue for many people, some of the businesses selling clothes are very unhappy as they have a high rate of return where people buy a couple of sizes and keep the one that fits best- each of those returns is going to cost them their fees in future.

There is a new payment system hitting ebay UK at some as yet unspecified point, there is no news yet about what holds there will be on refunds, but it might be worth reminding yourself to check once the new system comes out and is being offered.

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • RajaStyleRajaStyle Forumite
    325 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just tried to change a collection only listing to "Pay on collection" and it said you need to accept PayPal on this listing? 
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    64.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    RajaStyle said:
    Just tried to change a collection only listing to "Pay on collection" and it said you need to accept PayPal on this listing? 
    Read the sticky threads I recommended, that’s the reason why I referred to the problem of collection only items.

the only category where a seller doesn’t have to offer PayPal is the motor vehicles, all other categories must have PayPal enabled .

i don’t use eBay for items that cannot  be posted for this very reason.
    New to Forum? Guide