»

Amigo loan query

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Amigo loan query

7 replies 373 views
veimveim Forumite
6 posts
First Post Photogenic
MoneySaving Newbie
Due to being young and stupid I took out one of these horrific loans. My original agreement is £xxx per month for 60 months.  My first payment was Jul 2015 so I would expect my last payment to be June 2020 however the outstanding balance Amigo claim I owe will take me over the 60 monthly payments?  Are they allowed to do this?  I’ve never missed a payment with them so can’t understand why I would have to pay more than the 60 monthly payments.

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll only make the payment specified in the contract if you make them on time and don't miss any.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    19.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does it say on your credit agreement ?
    Do you still have a copy, if not make a request for one, under sec 77/79 CCA.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    veim said:
    Due to being young and stupid I took out one of these horrific loans. My original agreement is £xxx per month for 60 months.  My first payment was Jul 2015 so I would expect my last payment to be June 2020 however the outstanding balance Amigo claim I owe will take me over the 60 monthly payments?  Are they allowed to do this?  I’ve never missed a payment with them so can’t understand why I would have to pay more than the 60 monthly payments.
    Did your contract say an initial payment of £xxx followed by 60 payments of £xxx
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • veimveim Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi agreement states 60 payments at £xxx
  • Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    veim said:
    Give them a call and ask why they are asking for more to be paid than was in your agreement.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • veimveim Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    veim said:
    Give them a call and ask why they are asking for more to be paid than was in your agreement.
    I plan to.  Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same with Amigo.  
  • edited 16 February at 10:59AM
    veimveim Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 16 February at 10:59AM
    If an agreement states £xxx over x amount months can they charge you extra monthly payments on top of this claiming it was because of the timeframe from the loan being paid to the first payment being made? Just want to know where I stand on this before I take it further.  No mention of extra payments in any correspondence or agreement. 
    Thanks