»

Mib want 30 grand

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Mib want 30 grand

37 replies 2.2K views
fisher88fisher88
6 posts
Forumite
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Can they really expect someone to pay that full amount, its came to light I was uninsured on the car but the traffic police let me go at the scene as I was on traders policy but was in process of buying the car so made the insurance void any advice ease

Replies

• MercdriverMercdriver
    3.3K posts
    Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The devil is in the detail.  Care to give us some?
  • fisher88fisher88
    6 posts
    Forumite
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My partner had a accident 2015 he was turning a corner a pedestrian walked out on the road and he hit the them at 10mph traffic police arrived checked everything out including insurance and let him drive away in december 2018 he got a letter saying the pedestrian claimed received the money and now mib are saying because its was on a traders policy but then my partner bought the car when it went in my partner name it made the insurance void, which he was unaware of at the time. 
  • fisher88fisher88
    6 posts
    Forumite
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    By the way he was on his old bosses traders policy,We understand my partner made the mistake but can they expect his to pay 30 grand 
  • Car_54Car_54
    5.1K posts
    Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    fisher88 said:
    By the way he was on his old bosses traders policy,We understand my partner made the mistake but can they expect his to pay 30 grand 
    He wasn't insured. Who else do you expect to pay?
    fisher88 said:

• dannyrstdannyrst
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    My guess would be they don't expect you to pay £30k in full, the majority of people don't have that sort of money lying around. A reasonable initial payment and a subsequent payment plan would no doubt be setup and accepted, based on income etc.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck
    5.6K posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one else but your partner is liable so yes, they will expect you to pay that amount.  If you can prove you can't afford to pay it in one go, you need to make arrangements for a substantial initial payment and a regular payment plan thereafter, until the debt is repaid.
    Honestly, how much could you pay now?  And if that's not the full amount, how much could you pay monthly from March onwards?
  • foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat
    6K posts
    Forumite
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you own your home or have a good chunk of equity in it?  They will likely go through the motions and do their best to secure as much of the 30 large as they can.  If you have personal debt and no property then now would be a good time to get as much cash from your credit cards/loans as you can and save it under your mattress and prepare for bankruptcy.
  • ToxicWombleToxicWomble
    250 posts
    Forumite
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    If the shoe was on the other foot and it was you that was injured by a motorist, would you want paying ?
    It ultimately comes down to who is liable and In this case, that would be you husband
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell
    3.4K posts
    Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, are you saying that the accident happened whilst they were on a test drive (traders policy), and  subsequently bought the car and insured it?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • NBLondonNBLondon
    3.5K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sea_Shell said:
    Sorry, are you saying that the accident happened whilst they were on a test drive (traders policy), and  subsequently bought the car and insured it?
    Post 4 says "old boss's traders policy"  which sounds like the driver (OP or OP's partner as the posts are inconsistent)  thought they were covered by that policy at the time of the incident but it actually didn't cover them for the activity they were undertaking at the time.    Was the driver an employee of the dealership?  Or a different car dealer?  As we often see - the story is going to come out v e r y    s  l  o   w   l  y
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."