New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Marriage Tax Allowace

7 replies 284 views
I applied for this a few years ago but never heard anything back from HRMC.   So I have just applied again and it says

2017 to present status active
2016-2017 applied for marriage allowance retrospectively
2015-2016 applied for marriage allowance retrospectively

Does this mean we actually got the rebate for the previous years....because I’ve never heard anything from them I really don’t know 

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your tax code? What is your DH's tax code?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I applied for this a few years ago but never heard anything back from HRMC.   So I have just applied again and it says

2017 to present status active
    2016-2017 applied for marriage allowance retrospectively
    2015-2016 applied for marriage allowance retrospectively

Does this mean we actually got the rebate for the previous years....because I’ve never heard anything from them I really don’t know 
    If you applied then the extra allowance would go to your DH. He would  receive a reduction in the tax he paid each pay day.

He would only get a rebate of you applied after the end of the tax year.
  • herc77herc77 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello there, I wonder if someone could help me.
    We got married in January this year 2020 but would like to backdate the marriage tax allowance.
    Is it possible to backdate to a date BEFORE you were getting married? 

Thanks
    Rob
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    herc77 said:
    Hello there, I wonder if someone could help me.
    We got married in January this year 2020 but would like to backdate the marriage tax allowance.
    Is it possible to backdate to a date BEFORE you were getting married? 

Thanks
    Rob
    To a tax year before you were married? No. The tax year you married? Yes. 
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/3/section/55C
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
  • Philipsmith1948Philipsmith1948 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just wanted to warn people about MARRIAGE TAX ALLOWANCE.com. we used this site in error. Their forms are so similar to HMRC. They charged over 50% (including VAT) of our allowance. Then their cheques bounced twice. We are still waiting for our money.  Please don't use them, ensure you are on the HMRC site.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to warn people about MARRIAGE TAX ALLOWANCE.com. we used this site in error. Their forms are so similar to HMRC. They charged over 50% (including VAT) of our allowance. Then their cheques bounced twice. We are still waiting for our money.  Please don't use them, ensure you are on the HMRC site.
    Defintely always click 'about us', these sites arent scams, they're service providers - very expensive ones!
  • v9017899v9017899 Forumite
    13 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I personally think theyre are scamming people as they make there website looking the same as the HMRC site and there costs are quite hard to find. There certainly not up front and the whole package is there to draw you in and not to look to deeply. I would say that's trying to scam unsuspecting people. Totally underhanded and needs shutting down