New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

personal loans

10 replies 293 views
steve003steve003 Forumite
6 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
took out personal loan to purchase a car,it was a right lemon, spoke to garage  fobbed off,went through CA and TRADING STD, no luck, i was told because ihad got it through aPL,i had no comeback, the point iam making is that i accept iwas ripped off and should this be made more obvious when a personal loan is granted that there is very little come back on this loan thanks

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can only use section 75 if the credit is directly linked to the purchase.  Otherwise, it's just cash.
  • edited 12 February at 6:31PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 February at 6:31PM
    Who is CA and Trading STD ?
    Because its a personal loan rather than finance your stuck, you have to complain to the garage, send a lba letter.
  • Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    DCFC79 said:
    Because its a personal loan rather than finance your stuck, you have to complain to the garage, send a lba letter.
    CA = CAB (Citizen Advice Bureau) and Trading Standards......would be my guesses. DO I get a prize?
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • glennstarglennstar Forumite
    280 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes Clive, you DO!!
    The views expressed here are my own. I am not a Solicitor nor am I affiliated with any of the parties I mention. If you disagree with any of my comments please say in whatever way feels most natural to you. No one self improves in a bubble!
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DCFC79 said:
    CA = CAB (Citizen Advice Bureau) and Trading Standards......would be my guesses. DO I get a prize?
    Ah I was just thinking would Clive get it.
    Ill just get onto Martin now for the prize.
    5.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    DCFC79 said:
    DCFC79 said:
    Ah I was just thinking would Clive get it.
    Ill just get onto Martin now for the prize.
    Outstanding. I look forward to hearing from Martin and receiving my invitation to the awards ceremony.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    steve003 said:
    The point iam making is that i accept iwas ripped off and should this be made more obvious when a personal loan is granted that there is very little come back on this loan thanks
    Answer would be no.

Good luck with your lemon.
  • steve003steve003 Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    took out personal loan to buy car, turned out to be right lemon, approached dealer no response went through usual channels ,CA and TS   no joy, i have to now except that i was sold a dud. the point i am making is, that it should be made when taking out a PL that you have no support if things go wrong  as it did in my case

• venisonvenison Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    A personal loan is exactly that, you have no come back on the lender only the dealer. Had you paid just £1 on a cc then section 75 might have helped.
    Stay safe, keep well and take care x
    5.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You might want to have a read of the following (although depends on age and cost of car in terms of what is reasonable to expect when purchasing from a dealer).

As with the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.  

The rules also include digital content in this definition. So all products - whether physical or digital - must meet the following standards:  

• Satisfactory quality  Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question. For example, bargain-bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods. 
    • Fit for purpose  The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods. 
    • As described  The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.
    • https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act