»

Car insurance HUGE increase

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Car insurance HUGE increase

8 replies 422 views
Duzza20Duzza20 Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
My car insurance is due tomorrow and my renewal was around 180.  I recently left my marriage, changed address.. It's now increased to between 900 and 1200!
I have been driving 25yr, no convictions ever,  with13 ncb. The more I search, the higher its getting! I am still married, but have changed my back to my maiden name, I have my name on council tax, and 2 days ago, realised I needed to register for electrol roll and that might have been the problem. Please help. Thank you

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    29.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, whether or not you're on the electoral roll won't make a difference to a premium.

The most likely reason for such a substantial increase is if you're now living in what insurers perceive as a higher-risk area.
  • Duzza20Duzza20 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for your reply Adrianc. I thought that, but I don't feel it is a high risk area. My housemate has only been driving 2 years and hers is around 400. My car is also only worth about £800.. I'm baffled, 
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for your reply Adrianc. I thought that, but I don't feel it is a high risk area. My housemate has only been driving 2 years and hers is around 400. My car is also only worth about £800.. I'm baffled, 
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    29.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duzza20 said:
    Play with the Meerkats.
    Get quotes in your old and new name.
    Get quotes at your old and new address.
    Just change one thing at a time, and you'll find what's causing it.
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have gone through go compare/money super market and could the problem actually be with saving my info and increasing it.. Wonder if a phonecall would be better? 
     I have tried all possible changes. 
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phone your old insurer and ask. New name, address and not being on the electoral role might be factors.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    Hate the multi post quote. Hate the stupid 21 "badges" in my profile. Complete waste of space needing to be scrolled past daily to find posts you've commented on. Badges? Is this the Brownies?
  • Rusty_MoskvitchRusty_Moskvitch Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm not surprised. Something dodgy is afoot - see my experience as follows:

We were married last September and since then my wife has been notifying her change of surname as the opportunity has arisen. Her car insurance is due for renewal in February, so 21 days beforehand we have been surveying the market for the best deal, as you have advised. We approached one company directly (on line) and also used one of the comparison websites. Possibly because both had her previous year’s applications for the same car ‘on file’ , her previous surname automatically appeared in the name box even though details of the home address change had already been entered. On both occasions we allowed the application to proceed and were given the resultant premium cost(s). Then we corrected her name to the married one and both premiums shot up by approximately £100. Thinking this was an anomaly we re-did the applications ensuring that her new name was entered as early as possible in the process but the premiums still remained at the higher level.

Subsequently, my wife found that a friend of hers had phoned her car insurers to advise that she had become married and wanted to change her name on her insurance documents and expected to be charged the standard amendment fee of £25 or so. Instead the voice at the other end of the line said “Congratulations on your marriage, our charge for a change of name is £4. However, your premium has risen by £103”. This came as a shock to her because none of her other circumstances had changed (same address, job, convictions, claims etc).

What is going on? Are married women a much higher risk to insure than unmarried ones?  I hasten to add that I too recently renewed my car insurance 21 days in advance and made sure that my relationship status was declared as ‘married’ whereas it was previously ‘divorced’ and achieved a most acceptable premium which was actually lower than the previous year.