PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Legal Fees

edited 31 January 2020 at 11:04AM in House buying, renting & selling
25 replies 981 views
andycorleoneandycorleone Forumite
47 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
Forumite
edited 31 January 2020 at 11:04AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,
The Estate agent that we are buying the house from recommend one solicitor but fees seem a bit high.

£2400 legal fees + 500 (Something related because we are using a mortgage)

House price is above 600K

I found some online services that seem to have goods reviews on Trustpilot, etc.

Anybody had used any of these?:

simplyconveyancing.co.uk/
myhomemoveconveyancing.co.uk

Replies

• hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    This reply will help you:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6097231

When you say 'recommend' - do you mean it's a local one they've dealt with lots who's good, or one who's linked/tied to their company (or umbrella company)?

Best advice in the link. Best off finding one yourself :)
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    golly. I am buying for about 300K and the solictor's professional fees are more like £700. Maybe it is more expensive in London - you need to get some quotes
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Never use the EA's recommended solicitor. Remember, the EA works for the vendor, and your solicitor is the only person working for you.

Do you have any friends, neighbours or colleagues in the area who could recommend anybody?
  • G_MG_M PPR Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Find your own independant conveyancer, not one who pays a commission to the seller's estate agent.
  • andycorleoneandycorleone Forumite
    47 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for you help. I just found a couple of website that seem to have a bunch of Good Reviews on TrustPilot anybody had used any of these?:

(I Will refrace my initial question)
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When trying to find a solicitor that doesn't charge rather high fees you should check what the actual legal fee they charge for conveyancing is. Most of the other fees that will need to be paid, such as search fees, disbursments etc will be pretty standard & not much variation between different solicitor practices.

You'll find there could be a couple of hundred pounds or more difference will be charged by one practice for the legal fee compared to another legal practice. With my last property purchase, one solicitor quote (recommended by ea) was going to charge £250 more for the legal fee than the solicitor I ended up going with.

A lot of the ea's who recommend solicitors get a kick back from the solicitor by way of commission should somebody take up the recommendation.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    General advice is avoid the 'conveyancing farms'. Take the advice above.
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for you help. I just found a couple of website that seem to have a bunch of Good Reviews on TrustPilot anybody had used any of these?:

I'd trust Trustpilot as far as I could kick it. And I'd always use a small local solicitor (the dustier and more Victorian the better) in preference to any shiny-shiny national outfit.
  • DarksliderDarkslider Forumite
    92 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I went with a big shiny national firm, I thought I was paying top whack at £1700 for our FTB purchase but I didn't mind because I thought the service would be slick and professional, and they were the same outfit as my mortgage broker which I thought would smooth things over.

Turns out I'm not happy at all and wish I'd gone to small independent in my local high Street and saved a few quid, they couldn't have done a worse job!
  • RelievedSheffRelievedSheff PPR Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

I wouldn't use an online conveyancing firm. We used one for our first house purchase and they were terrible.

We used a local firm last year who although they were a little more expensive were brilliant and made the whole process run sweetly.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals