Council parking ticket due to faded/damaged/short signs

malbagmalbag Forumite
1 Post
First Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all, first post here and hoping for some advice.

Earlier this month I parked in a residential area in Stoke - I was attending a meeting for work in a building on that road. I parked up in a marked section which I assumed was just sectioned off parking given that the rest of the street had been free parking and also the marked section did not have any writing on the road or signs that I could see.

I returned later in the day to find a penalty charge had been given to me for parking in a permit holders only section. Upon walking up the street from where I was parked I noticed that there was a couple of very badly faded, difficult to read and in one case sprayed over signs pointing out that it was permit holders only. These signs were also spaced out and extremely short in size meaning that as you drive along the road you cannot see them behind the many parked cars that were there at that time, especially if you are getting out your car and crossing to the other side of the road, as I was. I have attached several pictures which show firstly the lack of writing on the road alerting drivers that the spaces are permit holder only, and also the small and unreadable signs. I would not have deliberately parked in permit holders only parking as there was a lot of other free on road parking close by, so there would have been no value in taking a risk by deliberately parking in a permit holders space when I could simply park anywhere else on the road.

I appealed the parking ticket and sent them the pictures which I have also uploaded here. I have received a letter tonight stating that my appeal has been rejected. In their words:

"I appreciate that the signage for the bays in which your vehicle had parked shows some signs of wear and tear. However the bay markings and information on the signage clearly conveys to the motorist the restrictions in place. Therefore, whilst I regret to disappoint you, I can find no grounds on which to cancel the above penalty charge notice."

This to me seems a bit ridiculous, to describe the signs as having "some wear and tear" when they are badly faded and one of them has been partly spray painted over seems inaccurate at best. Looking on Google street view the spray painted sign in question has been like that since at least April 2017, and they clearly haven't bothered to fix it. However, the signs being in this state is almost a moot point as I didn't even see any whilst driving along the road due to their short size.

I admit the bay markings are clear, however in cases where the bay is restricted, I have only ever seen the bay markings accompanied by writing on the road telling you what the restriction is. And similarly, I have parked in many marked off bays which are completely free and have no restrictions. I am not from Staffordshire, and have only recently moved down to England, so not sure if this differs between councils? One of my colleagues that day also received a ticket for the same reasons, so I don't think it's just me being stupid. Some may disagree!

I have posted up pictures of the PCN itself, as well as pictures of the area in question. I can post up the rejection letter too if that would help. Is this worth fighting further, or should I just suck up the £35 before it gets any higher?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Edit - seems I can't post pictures as a new user. How do I get around this?

Replies

• UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work - try using a throwaway gmail account instead if you do have trouble registering) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News