»

Bank account got closed. DSAR with CIFAS...

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Bank account got closed. DSAR with CIFAS...

edited 25 January at 9:06PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
102 replies 8.8K views
tcsthekingtcstheking Forumite
55 posts
10 Posts First Anniversary
edited 25 January at 9:06PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
RBS and Lloyds both closed my accounts, I got a text message from both within 5 minutes of each other saying my account was getting closed and blocked.

I called RBS and they were being very rude to me on the phone, and said I should check with CIFAS to see what information they hold on me. Lloyds just said "they don't like the way I was using the account".

I did a data request to CIFAS and the data they hold on me is "RBS undertook a search in your name on 6th january"....very weird as it does not say any category or if it even is fraud related.

Has this happened to anyone else or what does "undertook a search" mean?

Also worth mentioning I have literally done nothing wrong to receive a CIFAS marker (if this is a marker) in the first place, I've not let anyone transfer any money to my bank accounts, no foreign currency/cryptocurrency trading, no gambling transactions). Nothing illegal.

I also have a Nationwide bank account, Amex Credit Card and Marcus savings accounts which haven't been affected or closed....(yet)...

Replies

• Ed-1Ed-1 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    tcstheking wrote: »
    RBS and Lloyds both closed my accounts, I got a text message from both within 5 minutes of each other saying my account was getting closed and blocked.

I called RBS and they were being very rude to me on the phone, and said I should check with CIFAS to see what information they hold on me. Lloyds just said "they don't like the way I was using the account".

I did a data request to CIFAS and the data they hold on me is "RBS undertook a search in your name on 6th january"....very weird as it does not say any category or if it even is fraud related.

Has this happened to anyone else or what does "undertook a search" mean?

Also worth mentioning I have literally done nothing wrong to receive a CIFAS marker (if this is a marker) in the first place, I've not let anyone transfer any money to my bank accounts, no foreign currency/cryptocurrency trading, no gambling transactions). Nothing illegal.

I also have a Nationwide bank account, Amex Credit Card and Marcus savings accounts which haven't been affected or closed....(yet)...

Very strange on the face of it. Can you upload an image of where it says RBS undertook a search?
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me "undertook" says they carried out a search.

In what way or how was the member of staff rude to you ?
  • tcsthekingtcstheking Forumite
    55 posts
    Just their general attitude, huffing and puffing when I was asking the person questions. I said thanks for their help and goodbye, they didn't say goodbye or anything like that.
  • jim1999jim1999 Forumite
    89 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Did I read all of this on Reddit a couple of days ago, or is this just a massive coincidence?
    55 posts
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Very strange on the face of it. Can you upload an image of where it says RBS undertook a search?

https://prnt.sc/qsw98w
    55 posts
    jim1999 wrote: »
    Did I read all of this on Reddit a couple of days ago, or is this just a massive coincidence?
    I also posted on UKpersonalfinance on reddit.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    12.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just their general attitude, huffing and puffing when I was asking the person questions. I said thanks for their help and goodbye, they didn't say goodbye or anything like that.
    I'd love to listen to a recording of that call.
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    colsten wrote: »
    I'd love to listen to a recording of that call.

Yeah a lot of people tend to "politely" "ask questions" but you know for a fact they're just trying to get a rise or otherwise generally being a nob.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    69.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Suspect that it's in relation to your previous activity.
    Now I have a question - I banked with Santander then I switched to Nationwide for the £100 bonus. I then opened an account with RBS closed it after a month of having it opened to switch to First direct for the £125 bonus, I then also opened an account with TSB and closed after a month to switch to NatWest for the £150 bonus.

RBS and NatWest are in the same banking group. Their radar has picked you up.
    "Markets have been so good for so long. That many investors are trivialising the advantages of actively managing portfolio risk." - Gervais Williams
    55 posts
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Suspect that it's in relation to your previous activity.

RBS and NatWest are in the same banking group. Their radar has picked you up.

Could be the reason, but it doesn't justify a CIFAS marker.