Forum Home» Techie Stuff

Strange Linux printing problem

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Strange Linux printing problem

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
33 replies 1.2K views
David_AstonDavid_Aston Forumite
1.2K posts
1,000 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
Hi Guys
Quite a while ago I made my old Dell dual boot.

(You guys had helped me to upgrade to Windows 7 prior to that.)
I really don't mind Linux. Just feels slightly rudimentary compared to 7.
Here's my query. Have got the Linux system to see my Pixma MG6150 via both wifi and the usb port. However, although the test page on the pc asks me to print a test page, and then exactly does that. It will not print a picture, at any price. It says it can see the rear carriage which holds the photo paper. It then says, "printing", while the printer shuffles about a bit, and tells me politely to wait. Then is says "job complete", and the printer returns to it's normal waiting for action position.
Does anything come to mind with you guys?:)

Replies

• EveryWhereEveryWhere
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are you using Linux?
    Why are you using Windows 7?
  • arcierearciere Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you have both WiFi and USB? Remove both and re-install the printer, see if that makes any difference.
  • David_AstonDavid_Aston Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments arciere. For years, the printer was connected via the usb connection, as I didn't frankly, understand how wifi worked, and of course didn't need it anyway. However, since starting to faff about with Linux I realised the printer itself was able to help me to use wifi via it's operating panel, and as we speak, the usb is not connected so the test sheet was produced successfully by wifi, or possibly magic as the printer is no longer physically connected to the pc!!!!
    In fairness, the ability to instruct the printer how to adjust print settings, such as contrast etc' is less obviously there, compared to Windows. However, as it won't print pictures anyway, that is academic for the mo'.

So, you are suggesting turning off the wifi via the printer, and then getting Linux to find said printer from scratch?
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So, you are suggesting turning off the wifi via the printer, and then getting Linux to find said printer from scratch?
    To be honest, without being there it's very difficult to even guess what the problem is. But since you are saying that the same printer is connected (or at least has been installed) with WiFi and USB, I would remove all the printers on Linux and then start from scratch. Since the printer is already connected to the WiFi (it seems), leave the USB cable unplugged and check if Linux is able to find any new printer. If it does find the printer, then it should be able to connect to it and install the correct drivers.

Provided that your printer is already connected to your WiFi (and it's not using those 'WiFi Direct' modes), you shouldn't need to do anything from the printer's display.
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your further comments arciere. Can you tell me how to find out if the printer is using "wifi direct modes"?
    I will have a go at what you suggest. As recently as yesterday, the printer was still producing pictures via Win 7, although at close of play yesterday I had managed to stop that, due I think to my constant tinkering with the connection software, via the printer!
    I'm pretty sure I should be able to get that route working again.
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your further comments arciere. Can you tell me how to find out if the printer is using "wifi direct modes"?
    With your phone, get close to the printer and check what WiFi networks you can see. If a printer is in WiFi direct, you should be able to see something like xxxxx-MG6100
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Smashing arciere, my trusty samsung s4 shows no indication of any wifi spots, other than the expected. So no wifi direct.
  • mksysbmksysb Forumite
    300 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    What printer is it and what linux distro? You may need to download some drivers for it.
  • smudger1964smudger1964 Forumite
    676 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I run linux mint and my old canon pixma was a pain with it.Had to download new drivers but that was hit and miss,luckily the printer was old so replaced it with a cheap HP printer that worked with linux straight out of the box.HP printers are quite linux friendly
  • psychic_teabagpsychic_teabag Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have got the Linux system to see my Pixma MG6150 via both wifi and the usb port.
    As others have said, no reason to have two separate connectons to it. OTOH, there's no harm in it. I'd argue that USB is the simpler connection - it's easier for drivers on the computer to take advantage of extra capabilities that way, whereas over wifi it's just a network printer.

Does it appear as two separate printers on the computer end ?
    However, although the test page on the pc asks me to print a test page, and then exactly does that. It will not print a picture, at any price. It says it can see the rear carriage which holds the photo paper. It then says, "printing", while the printer shuffles about a bit, and tells me politely to wait. Then is says "job complete", and the printer returns to it's normal waiting for action position.
    can you explain that without using "it" ? it's hard to know whether you mean the computer or the printer in each case.
    • Which 'it' says it can see the rear carriage ?
    • Which "it" says it is printing ?
    • Which "it" says job complete ?

Oh, and I guess what software are you using on the linux end ? Is it an app (in which case it will depend on which distribution you are using), or are you using the CUPS http interface (such as locahost:631) ?

It can be both an upside and a downside that linux has many ways to do the same thing.