Forum Home» Motoring» Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking

Parking ticket, car sold, inform bailiff?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Parking ticket, car sold, inform bailiff?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
4 replies 118 views
scottstorchscottstorch Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Hi all,

I got a parking ticket. I contested it > rejected > contested again after receiving Notice to Owner, no correspondence... Fast forward 3 months to today - bailiff contacts me saying they're going to visit and I owe £500+.

Entirely coincidentally, I sold that car on Monday. I've sent off the V5 with new owner's details, but I'm worried for the new owner that the car may get clamped if seen parked on the road... So, do I inform the bailiff company that I've sold the car? Or do I just let it go and hope the DVLA process is complete before it's spotted on the street? As far as I'm concerned - the less contact with a bailiff, the better.

Obviously I'm never going to let them in to my property, and I have nothing else outside the confines of my property they can take, so I'm sure they'll give up after a while and send it back to the local council... So my main concern is for the new owner.

Replies

• Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    12.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did this case go to court and was a judgment (CCJ) issued? If not, then a bailiff has no right or business contacting you. If a CCJ was issued, did you pay it or apply for a set-aside. Is this in Scotland or England?
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    30.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As this forum deals primarily with private parking tickets, not with bailiff issues, you will be best served in dealing with bailiffs/enforcement agents by making contact with 'Bailiff Advice Online'. Sheila, who provides this excellent service, has an extremely good reputation for assisting people with bailiff issues.

Calls and the email enquiry service are free.

Here's your link:

http://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk

Sheila also posts on MSE as 'Herbie21'
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Ah, my apologies - I didn't realise - I thought it was all things parking tickets, bailiffs etc.

Thanks for the info!
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    30.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, my apologies - I didn't realise - I thought it was all things parking tickets, bailiffs etc.

Thanks for the info!

No worries, and good luck. :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.