Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Tomorrows World 1989 talking about 2020

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Tomorrows World 1989 talking about 2020

edited 14 January 2020 at 6:05PM in Discussion Time
10 replies 197 views
Terry_DactilTerry_Dactil Forumite
733 posts
500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭
edited 14 January 2020 at 6:05PM in Discussion Time
:eek: :rotfl:

Replies

• VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll raise your 2020...

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MariscoMarisco Forumite
    42K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had it pretty much spot on really.
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most things they mention there are possible, but some are not very common. There was a home on Grand Designs that had the glass that you can turn dark with a switch. Not sure if you can get windows that turn into a huge TV screen though.

They got the smart heating controls right. PIR sensor lights are now commonplace in workplaces (part of the building regs) but still uncommon inside homes.

Suits and live TV have definitely improved :)
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a 16-year old I was "power" dressing like Judith Hann - 10-denier black tights and all - and felt very grown up :embarasse
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ Jackets with shoulder pads :) Judith Hann was a good presenter.

One thing they did get wildly wrong: Howard plugging in his hair dryer by holding the plug anywhere against the wall. That was never going to be a thing for a variety of reasons.
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    And I thought it was going to be jet packs, and flying cars with tailfins. . .
    Oh hang on! That was what they thought in the 1950s

I actually remember that TW article being on, but not much about it.
    Looks fairly accurate if a bit optimistic.
  • melburymelbury Forumite
    13.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'll raise your 2020...

I was at High School in Australia when this was a massive hit - happy days:)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• MariscoMarisco Forumite
    42K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Jackets with shoulder pads :) Judith Hann was a good presenter.

One thing they did get wildly wrong: Howard plugging in his hair dryer by holding the plug anywhere against the wall. That was never going to be a thing for a variety of reasons.
    No, most women need 2 hands to do their hair ;)
  • adoado Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    TBF they weren't that wrong although their predictions might have been a few years early. Alexa controls music, Nest controls rooms and learns routines, glass can be changed to control light and houses are slowly but surely, becoming more energy efficient.
  • Most things they mention there are possible, but some are not very common. There was a home on Grand Designs that had the glass that you can turn dark with a switch. Not sure if you can get windows that turn into a huge TV screen though.

They got the smart heating controls right. PIR sensor lights are now commonplace in workplaces (part of the building regs) but still uncommon inside homes.

went to a posh hotel where the bathroom mirror was a tv so you could watch the news while reading the paper...
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.