Forum Home» Motoring» Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking

Notice of Pending Enforcement Action

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Notice of Pending Enforcement Action

edited 14 January 2020 at 12:33AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
9 replies 280 views
ck11zwsck11zws Forumite
3 posts
edited 14 January 2020 at 12:33AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Hi all,

I received a parking fine around 2 years ago from Millennium Door & Event Security and ignored the notice. I was never sent evidence of my car being parked on the property so I did not think anything of it (Stupid I know).

I recently received a letter for BWLegal stating there was a CCJ entered against me during May 2018 and that they are acting on behalf of MD&E to seek the balance of £267.68 and that if I did not respond, would result in more charges, attachment of earnings, examination order or bailiff.

What possible options do I have with this?
Should I just pay it?

There was no change of address, I simply ignored everything that came through the letterbox.
I've sent an email to BWLegal requesting information regarding my case.

Please refrain from enforcing my naivety and stupidity, as I know what I did was plain idiotic and should of followed the guidelines set within this forum (Didn't know they existed at the time).

Thanks in advance for any response.

Replies

• KeithPKeithP Forumite
    24.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you receive a County Court Claim Form?

If you didn't receive one, there may be a chance, but if you did receive a Claim Form and ignored that too, you may have very few options.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    91.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What possible options do I have with this?
    Apply to set it aside if you can honestly say the claim was not properly served to your address. The NEWBIES thread post #2 explains about this option. Court fee = £255!

Second choice - if you want to resolve it but are unsure if you ever saw a claim form - email the parking firm to ask for their consent to set it aside and what settlement they would consider to consent. Court fee = £100. Make it clear you are NOT asking them to just take payment & mark it as 'satisfied' which is not acceptable.
    Should I just pay it?
    No, do as above, read the set aside section in the NEWBIES thread post #2.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP wrote: »
    Did you receive a County Court Claim Form?

If you didn't receive one, there may be a chance, but if you did receive a Claim Form and ignored that too, you may have very few options.

Thanks for the reply Keith. I honestly can't remember receiving any Claim Form. Possibly got lost or miss-delivered.
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Apply to set it aside if you can honestly say the claim was not properly served to your address. The NEWBIES thread post #2 explains about this option. Court fee = £255!

Second choice - if you want to resolve it but are unsure if you ever saw a claim form - email the parking firm to ask for their consent to set it aside and what settlement they would consider to consent. Court fee = £100. Make it clear you are NOT asking them to just take payment & mark it as 'satisfied' which is not acceptable.

No, do as above, read the set aside section in the NEWBIES thread post #2.

Cheers for the response! I've given BWLegal an email requesting information but am still to receive a response. I'll give Millennium Security an email to explain the situation and hopefully, they accept a settlement. Would this process be the same as #2 if they do consent?

A letter has arrived today from BWLegal that County Court Bailiffs are being considered, through warrant of control, if no action is taken by the 4th. Brilliant! I'm an idiot!
  • edited 14 January 2020 at 10:07AM
    Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    12.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2020 at 10:07AM
    You don't want just a settlement, you want, as C-m advised, a set-aside by consent. This removes the set-aside from your credit record; just settling it leaves it marked as satisfied and your credit record is trashed for 6 years.

And you are not an idiot; an idiot would be someone who continued to ignore, you are at least doing something!
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • nosferatu1001nosferatu1001 Forumite
    11.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Settlements are usually befor they havea judgement sayng you owe them X. Theyre unlikely to accept less than X now to "settle" the matter

If you pay them, the judgement is marked "satisfied" but STAYS ON YOUR RECORD FOR 6 YEARS

The ONLY way to remove this is by a set-aside. Either WITH the claimants consent or WITHOUT.

You have a duty to act promptly. If you take too long deciing, you lose hte chance.
  • Hi all, I thoroughly appreciate the responses, they have been brilliant. I did read the sticky thread prior to posting, however I couldn't make the grounds that I had moved house, as I did not nor do I have proof of living elsewhere.

I have emailed Millennium today and apologised for allowing the situation to get this far and if they would consent to a set aside, through settlement of the balance. It's not something I can particularly afford (Student), however, I accept the consequences of my ill-informed decisions.

I will update with their reply.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    31.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked your credit record to confirm whether you have a current CCJ issued against your name? That's the first thing to do, not explaining or apologising to any scammer!

Your credit record will likely be more definitive than any of the guesswork/supposition you've posted here.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    91.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have emailed Millennium today and apologised
    You did whaaat?!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD