New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Can I stand on ikea base units?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
9 replies 559 views
SallysosoSallysoso Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
Hi, if I stand on top of my worktop to paint the walls will the ikea base units underneath take my weight??

Replies

• JimmyChangaJimmyChanga Forumite
    262 posts
    Should do easily.
  • pramsay13pramsay13 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Should do but maybe stand near the supports to make sure.
  • SallysosoSallysoso Forumite
    2 posts
    Thanks all!
  • daividdaivid Forumite
    472 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    If the worktop is fixed in place then it will be supported by, and the weight distributed across a number of units. If the worktop is not particularly thick I would be wary of standing above any unsupported spans e.g. a gap for appliances and I definitely wouldn't stand on a breakfast bar supported by legs/pillars at one end. I have put my full weight (around 14stone/ 90kg) on kitchen worktops without any problems.
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    53.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware, some Ikea legs are very weak - the plastic ones with thread
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • vansboyvansboy Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can vouch for the strength and full support from my Ikea kitchen base units, easily supporting the weight of two people.

Although only one would actually sit on the edge, while I would place some of my body weight against hers.

Cant say we were actually decorating, at the time, though, but always ended with a most satisfactory finish.

VB
  • ianto11ianto11 Forumite
    251 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    vansboy wrote: »
    I can vouch for the strength and full support from my Ikea kitchen base units, easily supporting the weight of two people.

Although only one would actually sit on the edge, while I would place some of my body weight against hers.

Cant say we were actually decorating, at the time, though, but always ended with a most satisfactory finish.

VB

I hope you have anti bac wipes :drool:
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭

That doesn't count as blow up dolls don't weigh much.
    Humans are the only creatures on Earth that will cut down a Tree,
    turn it into paper, and then write 'Save The Trees' on it.
  • poppellerantpoppellerant Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

VB
    It certainly sounds like you may have painted some walls. :eek: