New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

End Times?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Discussion Time
77 replies 851 views

Replies

• 3secondmemory3secondmemory Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    choille wrote: »
    Oh, there is a genuine climate emergency, that is without doubt. It is only naysayers who doubt that. What is at question is - is there anything that can be done about it.

Even if people deny that climate is having an effect, we cannot deny that our excessive waste and pollution is affecting a great many people.

Fouling and disrupting water supplies of subsistence-living farmers for the sake of fashion and large scale food production isn’t our priority when buying cheap jeans and fast food!
  • SapphireSapphire Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Its called back burning. Essentially burning away fuel in the form of dead and dying vegetation. Its well known to reduce the risk and effect of wildfires, been in use centuries. Spot on, climate concerns and save the trees led to it being frowned upon, basically people from the city telling the people from the country what to do without any evidence of what their suggesting having a benefit.

And in Australia, for example, fires are actually needed (obviously not on the scale this year), since they trigger regeneration of the vegetation, which is uniquely adapted for such events. I have some burnt seedpods that I picked up in Australia, which clearly show the holes where multiple seeds pinged out. They were everywhere …
  • RelaxRelax Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The earths magnetic field has weakened by about 15% over the last 150 years, with that weakening increasing its pace over the last few years.

Also and perhaps connected is that the North and South Pole are moving position far more rapidly with the North Pole showing the most alarming increase~ In the year 2000 it was moving at a rate of 9km a year and by 2007 it was moving at 52km a year.. This acceleration is still increasing.

And serious science is now considering this may well be evidence of a pole shift.

The largest risk to the planet with a very weak magnetic field is from space weather events either solar flares or coronal mass ejections or from none solar energy such as cosmic rays that would usually be deflected.

Oddly though just as the earths magnetic field is weakening so is the sun's.. And we are close to replication of the point that was known as the maunder minium when sun spot activity disappeared altogether.

I am aware it sounds rather foil hatty, but as far as I am aware all I have posted is accurate and yet this radical change that has mostly taken place over the last 50 years and has rates that are only becoming more noticeable draws very little interest because there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.
  • choille wrote: »
    Climate change has been happening for billions of years too.
    That's true.
    The earth has been cooling since a few hundred million years after it formed, according to the thinking of people supposedly knowledgeable about such things and the sun is supposed to be heading for a grand solar minimum.
    This is a fairly regular occurrence which we're told - when combined with global warming - will lead to more-severe winters in Europe . . . . . . but the honest fact is that even the experts don't really know which way Earth is heading regards climate.
    What is obvious is that globally weather is changing.
    Even locally; here in Britain we are getting milder but wetter which is already affecting our farmers.
    Before the Oz fires I read about Australian winemakers trying Tasmania because conditions were changing on the Oz mainland.

TBH I'm not sure (who can be?) that even if the whole planet adopted corrective measures immediately it would make any difference.
    That's not an excuse but a statement of fact.
    So while I'm in complete agreement that something needs to be done, I'm not sure what it is that could be done that would make any real difference.
    And that I think is the real problem our planet faces; that anything we do now might well not make any difference.
  • wobbleywobbley Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Same with the lack of dredging streams and rivers, again, for environmental reasons, but which has caused flooding in heavy rains in places where it's not flooded previously (due to the streams/rivers having been regularly dredged/cleared).

Been shouting this tune for years. Twenty years ago the big wigs in Brussels decided that dredging spoil had to be classified as toxic waste. Overnight it went to £300 per ton to dispose of. This killed about 85% of dredging in the UK which was followed by some of the worst inland floods in recent history. And the powers that be still can't join the dots....
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
  • edited 13 January 2020 at 8:36PM
    melburymelbury Forumite
    13.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January 2020 at 8:36PM
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    If you want to worry yourself to an early grave Google Yellowstone national park and it's super volcano!!

It that blows we're all doomed...think nuclear winter without the radioactivity!!

I'd forgotten about that one, haven't heard much about it lately:eek:

I do wonder if everything we take out of the Earth's crust - i.e. oil, coal, plus numerous other things - has an impact on earthquakes, volcanoes, etc (plus of course fracking can't do it a lot of good).

Will it end up hollow and just implode one day?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don_Two wrote: »
    That's true.
    The earth has been cooling since a few hundred million years after it formed, according to the thinking of people supposedly knowledgeable about such things and the sun is supposed to be heading for a grand solar minimum.
    This is a fairly regular occurrence which we're told - when combined with global warming - will lead to more-severe winters in Europe . . . . . . but the honest fact is that even the experts don't really know which way Earth is heading regards climate.
    What is obvious is that globally weather is changing.
    Even locally; here in Britain we are getting milder but wetter which is already affecting our farmers.
    Before the Oz fires I read about Australian winemakers trying Tasmania because conditions were changing on the Oz mainland.

TBH I'm not sure (who can be?) that even if the whole planet adopted corrective measures immediately it would make any difference.
    That's not an excuse but a statement of fact.
    So while I'm in complete agreement that something needs to be done, I'm not sure what it is that could be done that would make any real difference.
    And that I think is the real problem our planet faces; that anything we do now might well not make any difference.

Have to agree but I think we do need to put in place some sensible measures re flood plain housing developments & drainage systems.

As an aside we have a horrendous gale here at the moment and lost power a while back but it's back on again. We seem to be having much increased wind speeds and more frequent storms even in Summer. In Winter we keep getting thunder snow - have for a few years now - that's a relatively new thing last 5 years roughly & once we get into that cycle it goes on for weeks at a time.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    melbury wrote: »
    I do wonder if everything we take out of the Earth's crust - i.e. oil, coal, plus numerous other things - has an impact on earthquakes, volcanoes, etc (plus of course fracking can't do it a lot of good).

I do sometimes wonder if oil is lube for the planet and by taking it out we're increasing friction and therefore earthquakes. Then again I might just be mad. :p
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I doubt fracking does any fracking good.
  • RelaxRelax Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I do sometimes wonder if oil is lube for the planet and by taking it out we're increasing friction and therefore earthquakes. Then again I might just be mad. :p

If anything was offering lubrication it would be water ~ There is evidence that 3 times as much water lies in the earth as on it in the oceans.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/earths-underground-oceans-could-have-three-times-more-water-than-the-surface-9534266.html