Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Labour Leadership Contest : Poll - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Labour Leadership Contest : Poll

edited 12 January 2020 at 8:00PM in Discussion Time
97 replies 1.3K views

Replies

• MoneyPit1977MoneyPit1977 Forumite
    661 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Belenus wrote: »
    If they have and it is Long-Bailey then they have learned nothing from the recent election results.

Unless they just want to be a protest movement.

Exactly. If they truly believe the only issue was Brexit then its going to be 10 years in the wilderness...
  • HRH_MUngoHRH_MUngo Forumite
    771 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I see Long Bailey is not doing well in our poll......
    I used to be seven-day-weekend
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    HRH_MUngo wrote: »
    I see Long Bailey is not doing well in our poll......

I voted for her as she is the best option for Labour never again getting into power.

I won't have a real vote as I don't plan on dropping £25 plus into Labour's coffers.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
    771 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for her as she is the best option for Labour never again getting into power.

I won't have a real vote as I don't plan on dropping £25 plus into Labour's coffers.

I agree... I would love her to become leader!
  • melburymelbury Forumite
    13.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought about doing that, but decided it was a bit naughty to artificially skew the result, so I didn't vote at all:)

I don't really care who is leading Labour, but for some reason I don't particularly like Keir Starmer, although he will probably win.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. If they truly believe the only issue was Brexit then its going to be 10 years in the wilderness...

So what research & evidence have you garnered from an indepth study and speaking to voters, community groups etc?

Or are you an expert on everything? Feel it in your water no doubt?
  • newatcnewatc Forumite
    645 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I just attended a Labour party meeting. I would say Corbyn supporters were in the majority (well those that spoke) and they still thought he was a good leader (not my view). However if there were a consensus, it was that the election loss was caused by the Labour Brexit message and the biased media which I think is probably the official line
  • edited 13 January 2020 at 11:20PM
    Mrs_BonesMrs_Bones Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January 2020 at 11:20PM
    Not being a member of any political party I don't have a vote on who becomes their leader but looking at the list I'm not sure if Labour is going to change that much no matters who wins over their own membership and their side cohorts of momentum. Their own membership voters are the people who voted Corbyn in and who voted repeatedly at conference to ignore the leave vote, which included long time Labour voters in their old voting heartlands. They voted repeatedly to try to turn the party towards supporting another referendum as the first didn't deliver the result they wanted. Maybe this was against Corbyn's better judgment maybe not, no one will ever really know as he never came down off the fence.

Those who will be voting share as much responsibility for Labour's dismal showing in the General Election as those at the top of the party. The London and middle class membership hold sway of the party's direction and took it to where it is now. Starmer and Thornberry were at the front of that push to ignore the vote of those outside the capital and demanding a new referendum but none of the others put forward any dissent from the what the party was doing during the election either. Who ever the party votes for in it's leadership contest it's got a mammoth task of trying to reconnect with it's traditional voters. Their real test is votes in a General Election not just their own won over members. There is sadly no one on this list who I'm likely to vote for at the next general election. The best hope currently for Labour is that they take the next five years sorting out the issues they have within the party and how they can be relevant to the whole country not just London. Then maybe, just maybe someone as yet unknown will arise to give Labour a chance of victory again.
    [FONT=&quot]“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    771 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree, Mrs Bones. If I was a member and had a vote, I would vote for Nandy as she appears the least left-wing, but as you stay she still supported Labour's Brexit-denying stance.

However I am not a member and am a Tory voter and see, as you do, more of the same and another dismal defeat in 2024.
  • stephen77stephen77 Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zebra wrote: »
    You may well still be by the end of the contest.

I don't suppose there's many other Labour party members on DT.

Or at least prepared to admit it.

I thought I would investigate for you.

Apparently at least 4 active poster are labour members.
    Well according to the thread I started on who is a party member.