Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Labour Leadership Contest : Poll - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Labour Leadership Contest : Poll

edited 12 January at 8:00PM in Discussion Time
97 replies 1.3K views

Replies

• edited 13 January at 12:48PM
    NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January at 12:48PM
    Ed Miliband has formally nominated Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner:

Screenshot-2020-01-13-at-12-45-06.png
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    choille wrote: »
    There has yet to be a conclusion from the enquiry into the reasons for the result of the election. It will be interesting to see what that is - easy to assume but until the enquiry concludes then we won't know.

Who's conducting the enquiry? If it's Labour it seems somewhat pointless to me, they're hardly likely to admit it was because of their unpopular policies and poor choice of leader now, are they?
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Who's conducting the enquiry? If it's Labour it seems somewhat pointless to me, they're hardly likely to admit it was because of their unpopular policies and poor choice of leader now, are they?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/23/labour-mps-from-all-wings-of-party-launch-inquiry-into-election-defeat

It's not a case of admitting anything. It's a genuine attempt to find out what happened so that lessons are learned. That is the reason to have one.

There is no evidence that their policies were unpopular - you are just assuming that. The members vote for the leader. They did that twice to a massive majority for Jeremy Corbyn. It's called democracy.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... the DM etc will label him one of the metropolitan elite, 'forgetting' that his father was a toolmaker and mother a nurse.

Keir Starmer's success represents an achievement that many, if not most would like for their children.

I'm not sure being a Knight of the Realm will do his image any good. Interesting that he is trying to drop the "Sir" when it suits him. Maybe he shouldn't have accepted the title in the first place.

Sir Keir is lucky to have enjoyed a Grammar School education. Something the Labour Party has prevented most bright young kids from working class backgrounds from benefiting from.

If I had a vote, it would be for Nandy or Phillips. Probably Nandy.

I would not vote Labour if Sir Keir was party leader. It's over 60 years since we had a "Sir" seeking to become PM; not something I want to see again.
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Sir Keir is lucky to have enjoyed a Grammar School education. Something the Labour Party has prevented most bright young kids from working class backgrounds from benefiting from.

Genuine question - is Starmer anti-grammar school?

Given his background I would have thought he'd be one of the few in the party who saw value in them as a mechanism for social mobility...
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • DiggerUKDiggerUK Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    .....It's not a case of admitting anything. It's a genuine attempt to find out what happened so that lessons are learned.......
    A six year old could tell anybody why labour didn't walk the election. It was the cockamamy Brexit policy argued for by remainers and momentum that hung us.

I shall make my arguments at the CLP tomorrow, and make my preferences known only when ballot papers are printed..._
    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Financial Adviser.
    'Forward to the British Spring' 'Viva Wikileaks'
    Justice for Harry Dunn
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My moneys on Long-Bailey and the other haridan, which should ensure many years in the wilderness for Labour and deprive them of this households votes for an equal amount of time.
  • newatcnewatc Forumite
    631 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    A six year old could tell anybody why labour didn't walk the election. It was the cockamamy Brexit policy argued for by remainers and momentum that hung us.

I shall make my arguments at the CLP tomorrow, and make my preferences known only when ballot papers are printed..._

I agree with the Brexit policy but don't underestimate the negative impact of Corbyn. While idolised many (particularly young) he was not liked/supported by a much greater number for a variety of reasons including the historic baggage of being seen as not patriotic. I don't believe any of the contenders will have that massive disadvantage.
  • MoneyPit1977MoneyPit1977 Forumite
    661 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/23/labour-mps-from-all-wings-of-party-launch-inquiry-into-election-defeat

It's not a case of admitting anything. It's a genuine attempt to find out what happened so that lessons are learned. That is the reason to have one.

There is no evidence that their policies were unpopular - you are just assuming that. The members vote for the leader. They did that twice to a massive majority for Jeremy Corbyn. It's called democracy.

I think it fair to say there is at least one event we could refer to as being...um...slightly evidenc-y??
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Momentum have probably already chosen the new leader.

If they have and it is Long-Bailey then they have learned nothing from the recent election results.

Unless they just want to be a protest movement.
    Humans are the only creatures on Earth that will cut down a Tree,
    turn it into paper, and then write 'Save The Trees' on it.